What can I build without a permit?

For detached one-and two-family dwellings only (not a complete list).  

NOTE: If you are in the Pierpont or Ventura Keys community, please check with Planning.  Check your Title Report for any easement restrictions.

  • CABINETS, COUNTER TOPS and other built-in furniture 
  • DRYWALL/GYPSUM BOARD: Minor repair of interior gypsum drywall/wallboard when it does not serve as a fire-resistance-rated assembly or a shear assembly for a structure. Such repair is limited to less than 100 square feet of drywall. If repair exceeds 100 square feet, a permit is required. (If unsure regarding fire-resistive-rated assemblies, please contact Building & Safety for guidance.) 
  • DECKS not exceeding 200 square feet not more than 30” above grade, not attached to the dwelling, and do not serve the required exit door 
  • REROOF: Repairs limited to a maximum of 40 square feet of weatherproof roof coating will not require reroof permits. Repairs extending past the roof covering, (asphalt shingles, clay, or concrete tile, or approved metal roofing) into the required underlayment, and or structural elements will require a permit to be issued and all permit requirements to be met. Subject to Building and Safety verification and approval. 
  • PAINTING, PAPERING, TILING, CARPETING, and similar finish work 
  • WOOD, CHAIN LINK, VINYL AND WROUGHT IRON FENCES that do not exceed 6’ high 
  • RETAINING WALLS less than 4’ high (measured from bottom of footing), unless supporting a surcharge.  (Note: retaining walls might require a grading permit. Inquire at Land Development Dept.) 
  • BLOCK WALLS less than 4’ high (measured from bottom of footing) 
  • DETACHED SHEDS: A single story, detached accessory structure used as a tool or light storage shed, playhouse, and similar uses, provided the projected the floor area is not greater than 120 square feet, and that said structure is not taller than 8”6” in maximum height measured from grade (grade is defined as the lowest point within 5’0” of the perimeter of a structure).is the proposed detached shed must located on a residential lot R-3 Occupancy only, has no electrical, plumbing or mechanical equipment and the structure may not obstruct or divert the flow of rainwater from one property to another. Only one detached shed is allowed per parcel; Located in rear yard only and 5’0” from any existing building; Eaves projections shall not exceed 16” nor extend over the property line. 
  • WINDOW AND DOOR AWNINGS: Window and door awnings in group R-3 and U occupancies, supported by an exterior wall that does not project more than 54 inches (1372 MM) from the exterior wall and that do not require additional support. Door awnings are to be lightweight construction (i.e., not to exceed 5 lbs. per sq. ft.). Required fire separation distance from property line to be maintained (min. 5ft. from the property line). 
  • SPAS, HOT TUBS AND ABOVE GROUND PLASTIC POOLS if prefab. New electrical and gas lines will require permits. 
  • ARBOR: Detached and max. 2’ D. x 8’ L. x 8’ H.  

Show All Answers

1. What is the permit process?
2. What are the different permit types?
3. How do I check the status of a building permit application?  
4. What work can a homeowner/owner-builder perform?
5. Is electronic permit and plan submittal required?
6. Why do I need a Building Permit?
7. What can I build without a permit?
8. How long is a plan check and a permit good for?
9. What are APPBs, APPFs?
10. Do I need a soil report if I want to build an addition to my house?
11. Do I need an automatic fire sprinkler system if I want to remodel my house?