Are you ready for rain? The upcoming weather systems are expected to impact the area in the coming days. Make to plan, take action, and prepare your properties for possible flooding before it occurs. Here are a few ready for rain safety reminders.
Sand and Sandbags:
- Use sandbags to protect areas around your property from flooding. Free sand and sandbags are available for Ventura residents at the City's Maintenance Yard, located at 336 Sanjon Road. Supplies are in the parking lot for easy pick up, open from dawn to dusk.
- Supplies are limited and available on a first come, first serve basis. Residents should be prepared to fill and transport sandbags as fire station personnel may or may not be available to assist due to other emergency activities.
- Sand and sandbags can also be purchased from local DIY stores.
Before it Rains:
- Clear debris from curbside gutters and drains in yards, driveways and pool decks, and inspect roofs to check for loose tiles, holes, or other signs of trouble.
- Cover and remove waste and recycling bins from curb and gutter locations as soon as you are able. Remove, store, dispose loose materials on hard surfaces that can be swept away by rain.
- Clean up any pet waste in your yards or patios.
- Cap and place pesticides, oils, chemicals, hazardous materials under cover and away from contact with rain.
- For more information on how to protect local rivers and the ocean, see the stormwater quality management web page.
- Turn off sprinklers and irrigation systems to conserve water.
Driving during in the Rain:
- Reduce traffic speeds when driving. Stay focused and scan the road for potential road flooding or debris.
- Keep away from flood control debris basins, channels, facilities and river beds.
- Use extreme caution when crossing roads or areas of flowing water. Flowing water can be dangerous and deceivingly deep.
- Be cautious when approaching moving water, whether in a vehicle or on foot. Turn around, don't drown.
To learn more about how to stay safe from flooding here: https://www.readyventuracounty.org/stay-informed/flood/
En Español: https://www.cityofventura.ca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/22345/VC_Emergency-Preparedness-Guide_Spanish