Frequently Asked Questions

How do I arrange a neighborhood meeting with a police officer?
Community members are encouraged to get involved in, Ventura's virtual neighborhood watch program. Residents also have the opportunity to attend monthly community council meetings to learn about activity and speak to an officer. To arrange a neighborhood meeting contact Civic Engagement at 805-339-4317. 

Where, and how, can I dispose of my prescription drugs and medications?

If you have prescription medicines to dispose of our department does not offer disposal services at the present time.  However, you can contact Roger’s Pharmacy at 2909 Loma Vista Ave. 805-648-1856, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. They accept medications for disposal but do not accept liquids, gels, or controlled substances.

How Do I Get Help if I am the Victim of Domestic Violence?

If you need emergency assistance, contact your local law enforcement agency immediately by calling 9-1-1.

To report a crime that is not happening right now or to obtain information, please call the Ventura Police Department at 805-339-4400 or 805-650-8010.

Victim/witness information is provided by the Ventura County District Attorney's Office and can be obtained by calling 805-654-3622.

What can I do if I'm the victim of domestic violence?

  • Call the police.
  • Make sure you are safe from another beating. Whenever you believe you are in danger, leave your home and take your children with you. If time allows, take important papers such as your birth certificate and vehicle registration with you.
  • Get medical attention. Don't try to treat yourself; you may be more seriously injured than you realize.
  • Seek assistance. Whether or not you file charges against your batterer, you may need to talk to a professional about your situation. Your local battered women's shelter, women's support group, or victims' assistance centers are good places to obtain help.
  • Save all the evidence (proof) you can. Whether or not you file charges now, you may change your mind later. You may even want to take photographs of your injuries.

How Do I Report Parking Issues?

To Report Parking Issues please call 805-339-4401.  Additionally, you can visit the traffic section on our website which discusses a variety of parking and traffic related questions and topics.

How Do I Report My Vehicle (or License Plates) Stolen?

If you believe your vehicle has been stolen it is important that you contact the police department immediately by calling 9-1-1. Be sure to have the following information available:

  • Color
  • Year
  • Make
  • Model
  • License plate number
  • Location where the vehicle (or plate) was last seen
  • Date and time the vehicle was last seen

If your license plate(s) are lost or stolen, you should notify the police department and the Department of Motor Vehicles immediately. Call the Ventura Police Department at 805-339-4425 or 805-339-4400. DMV can be contacted at 805-654-4591. DMV will issue new plates for your vehicle after the police report has been filed.

Ventura Police Emergency - 9-1-1
Ventura Police Non-Emergency - 805-339-4400 or 805-339-4425
Department of Motor Vehicles, Ventura Office - 805-654-4591

How Do I Know If My Child Is Involved With Gangs?

What You Know About Gangs Could Save Your Child's Life

Gangs are a major problem in California. What they do isn't kid stuff. Gang members have destroyed property and committed violent crimes, including maiming and murdering innocent people.

This information can help parents understand why a young person joins a gang and the warning signs that indicate gang membership.

8 Reasons Why Kids Join Gangs

1. Low self-esteem
2. Lack of identity
3. Need to feel important
4. Companionship/sense of belonging
5. Security
6. Lack of positive alternative activities, like sports
7. Lack of parental involvement
8. Peer pressure