Small Business Loan Program
The City of Ventura understands that starting or expanding a business can be quite challenging, whether or not the business owner chooses to purchase real estate. However, knowing that our success depends on your success, the City designed the Business Assistance Program (BAP) to assist business owners in overcoming some of the hurdles to successful entrepreneurship. Over the last 15 years, we have issued approximately 90 loans, infusing $4.5 million into our economy to assist local business owners with starting or growing a business in Ventura.
We offer three low-interest loan options that can total up to $100,000 and can be used for façade and structural improvements, code compliance issues, and working capital needs. Participants are required to invest one dollar of their own capital for every dollar loaned. BAP loan rates are competitive and terms are generally more flexible than conventional lenders and our loan officers are local and familiar with Ventura’s business climate.
SMALL BUSINESS LOANS
The Small Business Loan option is designed to create jobs and support the growth of Ventura’s small business community. Small business loans from $10,000 to $50,000 can be used for the following:
- Business related expenses including inventory, accounts payable, and accounts receivable
- Working capital for the acquisition of an existing business, building, machinery, equipment, furniture, fixtures, and vehicles.
- Renovation and exterior improvements involving landscaping, building facades, signage, and parking areas.
CODE COMPLIANCE LOANS
The Code Compliance Loan offers low-interest loans to business and commercial property owners in the amounts of $10,000 to $25,000 and can be used for the following:
- General property maintenance improvements to exterior and interior lighting, windows, doors, exterior fences and general building façade maintenance
- Parking area and drainage improvements related to paved aprons, curbs, wheel stops, and striping
- Structural and seismic improvements to building supports, walls, roofs, ceilings, and plumbing and electrical systems
- Modifications pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act
COMMERCIAL REHABILITATION LOANS
The Commercial Rehabilitation Loan offers low-interest loans designed to revitalize the City’s older commercial districts. Owners of businesses and commercial property in the Downtown, Midtown, or Westside areas are eligible for loans ranging from $10,000 to $50,000 for the following:
- Architectural and engineering services for preliminary construction designs and cost estimates
- Payment of applicable development fees for building permits, inspection services, and utility conversions
- Façade and tenant improvements to exterior signs, lighting, windows, doors, awnings and fascia
- Historic preservation activities for properties in commercial use