Special Events, Block Parties & City Hall Rentals

Step One

Obtain a special event, block party or City Hall rental application.

Download, fill, save and find out where to send your applications here:
City Hall is not available for rentals on July 4, December 24, and January 1.

The City of Ventura issues permits for individuals, groups, and companies to conduct events within the City of Ventura limits. Activities such as block parties, parades, processions, athletic and sporting events, walk-a-thons, and festivals that impact City streets, sidewalks, parking lots, public property, airways, public buildings, and traffic require a permit to be filed in advance. Many private properties also require permits for special activities that have the potential to impact the public-right-of-way.

Step Two

Complete and return your application with fees.

Special Event applications, along with the non-refundable application fee and security deposit, should be submitted 60-90 city business days before your event. This time frame allows the permit staff to receive all the necessary City of Ventura department approvals associated with the planning and execution of the event. Applicants are highly encouraged to submit their application and receive conditional approval before advertising/promoting their event to ensure the event location is available.

Applications for a Block Party, along with the non-refundable application fee and security deposit, should be submitted 30-90 business days before your event. A petition page with at least 3/4 signatures of the owners/residents authorizing their consent in writing is also required when submitting the application. Additional conditions for conducting a Block Party are outlined within the application.

Step Three

Receive your permit.

Once the permit staff receives the application fee, and any supplemental paperwork, the application will be forwarded to the appropriate City departments for review and adherence to applicable City ordinances and regulations. Specific requirements and any additional fees will be included in a detailed agreement to be signed by the "Permittee" prior to the event.

A Certificate of Insurance and endorsement page naming the City of Ventura as an additional insured will be required prior to the release of any Special Event Permit. Block Party Permits require a copy of the "Permittee's" homeowner's policy or the "Permittee" may purchase insurance through the City of Ventura. The mandatory wording for liability insurance and required certificate of endorsement page must specify, as an additional insured, the following:

The City of San Buenaventura, its officers, officials, employees and agents
501 Poli Street

Please be aware that insurance requirements have recently changed. See Special Event Permit Application for details.

Once approved, the "Permittee" will be contacted and asked to visit City Hall, room 226, to sign the permit, pay any outstanding fees or satisfy insurance requirements.

Other Things to be Aware of

As a condition of the permit, the "Permittee"; may be required, but not limited to, the following:

  • Pay for City Public Safety Officers or representatives to control traffic or provide safety or inspections at the event
  • Post appropriate signage on streets and/or place and man barricades
  • Notify business/residents in writing or in person prior to the event
  • Contact and obtain required permits from other regulatory agencies or organizations
  • Coordinate specific aspects of the event with other City of Ventura departments