- Matt LaVere, Mayor - at large
- Sofia Rubalcava, Deputy Mayor - District 1
- Lorrie Brown, Councilmember - District 6
- Jim Friedman, Councilmember - District 5
- Cheryl Heitmann, Councilmember - at large
- Erik Nasarenko, Councilmember - District 4
- Christy Weir, Councilmember - at large
Elections to select Councilmembers are held on the 1st Tuesday after the 1st Monday in November of the even numbered years. The newly elected Councilmembers assume their seat on the City Council in December, 30 days after the election and serve for a term of four years.
At the same time, the Council is reorganized and one of its members is selected to be Mayor. The Mayor serves a term of 2 years. He/She is the presiding officer of the Council. The Mayor has been delegated the responsibility to act as the City Council's ceremonial representative at public events and functions. The Deputy Mayor is also selected in the same manner and serves a 2-year term.
Councilmembers may be contacted via telephone at 805-654-7827 or by sending an email.
City Councilmembers serve a term of 4 years with the terms being staggered on a 2-year basis with three (3) members being elected at one election and four (4) at the next. The terms commence from/after 8 p.m. of the day of the first regular meeting in December following the election. To be placed on the ballot a candidate must circulate a nomination form provided by the City Clerk, gathering not more than 30, but not less than 20 signatures of registered voters in the City to qualify for placement on the ballot. Please see Elections for more information on the District-Based Election process and Nomination Period Dates.
The election of members of the Council has been from the City at-large with candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall be declared elected until the number declared elected equals the number of Council offices to be filled at the election. Starting with the 2018 Election, City Council members will be elected by Districts. All ties shall be decided by lot in the presence of the candidates concerned and under the direction of the election authorities.
In January 2019, the City Council established the following goals for FY 2019-2020:
- Stabilize and Strengthen the Organization
- Reinitiate General Plan Update
- Create an Economic Development Strategy
- Open Permanent Homeless Shelter
- Find Opportunities to Invest in Beautifying the Community
- Develop Coastal Area Strategic Plan
- Meeting Time: 6:00 p.m.
- Three Mondays each month
- Meets the first week in August and will not reconvene until the first Monday after the Labor Day weekend
- Meeting Place:
- City Council Chambers
- 501 Poli St. 2nd Floor