The seven-member Ventura City Council meets two times a month on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers at City Chall. The Council meets the first week in August and then does not reconvene until the first Monday after the Labor Day weekend.
City Councilmembers serve a four-year term with terms staggered on a two-year basis with three members elected at one election and four members elected at the next. Elections to select Councilmembers are held on the 1st Tuesday after the 1st Monday in November of the even-numbered years.
Newly elected Councilmembers assume their seat on the City Council in December, after the election is certified. At the same time, the Council is reorganized and one of its members is selected to be Mayor. The Mayor serves a two-year term as the presiding officer of the Council. The Mayor acts as the City Council's ceremonial representative at public events and functions. The Deputy Mayor is also selected in the same manner and serves a 2-year term
Starting with the 2018 Election, City Council members are elected by Districts. Candidates must live in their District and reside in that District once Elected. Please see the Elections web page for more information on Ventura's District-Based Election process and nomination period dates.
- 2023- 2024 City Council Goals
- 2022- 2023 City Council Goals
City Council Annual Budget Documents
- 2023 Adopted Budget Principles, including Measure O Funds.
- View the City of Ventura proposed and adopted annual budget documents.
City Council Meetings
- City Council meets two Mondays a month at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers, located inside City Hall at 501 Poli Street.
- Access meetings virtually using the URL posted on each meeting agenda.
- Watch or listen to City Council Meetings on Cable TV (Channel 15) or stream meetings online at Videos and on the City's YouTube channel.
- Live two-way Spanish interpretation services are available for City Council meetings.
- Learn How to Participate: Review, comment, watch or listen to a City Council meeting
Submit public comments to City Council prior to the City Council Meeting:
- To submit written comments (up to 1,000 characters) for the City Council’s consideration and inclusion in the public records,
email the city clerk by 4:00 p.m. on the meeting date, or by using the public comment form at Public Input. Please include the Agenda Item Number in the subject.
- When watching the live stream or WebEx meeting, submit a Public Comment (item 7) for items not on the day’s agenda or comments on a specific agenda item as it is being heard, submit your comment to the City Clerk using this form or send an email to the city clerk (up to 1000 characters). Every effort will be made to read your comment into the record, but some comments may not be read due to time limitations. All comments received by the conclusion of the agenda item will be made part of the record.