- City Council
Ventura City Council
December 12, 2022 (JPG)
- Joe Schroeder
Mayor - District 7
- Jeannette Sanchez-Palacios
Deputy Mayor - District 4
- Liz Campos
- Doug Halter
- Mike Johnson
- Bill McReynolds
- Jim Duran
There are 7 members of the Ventura City Council. Starting with the 2018 Election, four (4) Councilmembers were elected by Districts with the remaining three (3) Councilmembers elected by Districts in 2020. While elected by Districts, each member represents the interests of the City as a whole.
Elections to select Councilmembers are held on the 1st Tuesday after the 1st Monday in November of the even numbered years. The newly elected Councilmembers assume their seat on the City Council in December, after the election is certified and serve for a term of four years.
At the same time, the Council is reorganized and one of its members is selected to be Mayor. The Mayor serves a term of 2 years. He/She is the presiding officer of the Council. The Mayor has been delegated the responsibility to act as the City Council's ceremonial representative at public events and functions. The Deputy Mayor is also selected in the same manner and serves a 2-year term.
City Councilmembers serve a term of 4 years with the terms being staggered on a 2-year basis with three (3) members being elected at one election and four (4) at the next. The terms commence from/after 8 p.m. of the day of the first regular meeting in December following the election. To be placed on the ballot a candidate, during the Nomination Period, must circulate a nomination form provided by the City Clerk, gathering not more than 30, but not less than 20 signatures of registered voters in that District to qualify for placement on the ballot. Please see Elections for more information on the District-Based Election process and Nomination Period Dates.
The election of members of the Council prior to 2018 had been from the City at-large with candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall be declared elected until the number declared elected equals the number of Council offices to be filled at the election. Starting with the 2018 Election, City Council members are elected by Districts. Candidates must live in their District and reside in that District once Elected. All ties shall be decided by lot in the presence of the candidates concerned and under the direction of the election authorities.
City Council Goals
On February 7, 2022, City Council adopted the Goals for Fiscal Year 2022-2023.
City Council Budget Principles
On February 24, 2020 City Council adopted the Budget Principles, which include Measure O Funds.
View the City of Ventura proposed and adopted annual budget documents.
- Meeting Time: 6:00 p.m.
- Two Mondays each month (2nd and 4th week) - Meeting Calendar
- Meets the first week in August and will not reconvene until the first Monday after the Labor Day weekend
- Meeting Place:
- City Council meetings are held in Council Chambers, located inside City Hall at 501 Poli Street. They can also be accessed virtually using the URL posted on the agenda.
- Live broadcasts of City Council meetings are available on Cable TV (Channel 15) and via internet accessible video stream
at Videos or on the City's YouTube channel.
Live two-way Spanish interpretation services are available for City Council meetings.
The public may submit comments to City Council prior to the City Council Meeting:
- To submit written comments (up to 1,000 characters) for the City Council’s consideration and inclusion in the public records,
email the city clerk by 4:00 p.m. on the meeting date, or by using the public comment form at Public Input. Please include the Agenda Item Number in the subject.
- When watching the live stream or WebEx meeting, submit a Public Comment (item 7) for items not on the day’s agenda or comments on a specific agenda item as it is being heard, submit your comment to the City Clerk using this form or send an email to the city clerk (up to 1000 characters). Every effort will be made to read your comment into the record, but some comments may not be read due to time limitations. All comments received by the conclusion of the agenda item will be made part of the record.
Agendas & Minutes
There are no published events in current month.