Art Tales Writing Contest
The City of Ventura has announced the winners of the 10th Annual Art Tales Writing Contest. The public is invited to a reception at City Hall, in the Community Meeting Room on May 17 at 5:30 pm, where the winners will be recognized and their entries read. This creative contest, inspired by works of art in the City’s Municipal Art Collection, received 125 works of short fiction and poems from youth, teen and adult writers, hailing from Ventura to Atlanta, Georgia.
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of Art Tales are as follows:
|Category||1st Place Winner||2nd Place Winner||3rd Place Winner|
|Youth Poetry||Macy Li||Larsen Meckstroth ||E.K. Baer|
|Youth Fiction||Shawn Coyner|| Isabel Connell ||Devin Varela|
|Teen Poetry||Penelope Duran||Sophie Stimer ||Ethan Adler|
|Teen Fiction||Cole Dodos||Genevieve Werner||Aaron Meraz|
|Adult Poetry||Mary Adler||Gabrielle Oracio||Sheri Ward|
|Adult Fiction||Gerald Zwers||Carolyn J. Foegen||Caitlin Trude|
This year's Art Tales Contest is closed. Please check back for information on the 11th Annual Art Tales Writing Contest.
10th Annual Information on How to Enter:
1. We invite you to take a walk throughout Ventura City Hall and enjoy the Municipal Art Collection. You will find the pieces chosen for this year’s contest housed on the second floor. Look for the music note symbol on each of the three selected pieces and decide which of the chosen works will inspire your writing. If you are unable to visit City Hall, you may view the images here on our website or learn more about the art and artists here on our website. In addition, we have put together Teacher Lesson Plans for use in the classroom.
2. Write an original poem or short story (no more than 500 words in length) inspired by ONE of the exhibit’s artworks that “sings” to you. Only ONE contest entry per person, please.
3. Prepare your entry as an electronic Word document, (in English only), in a twelve-point font. Include at the top the author’s name, address, phone number, email address, age, title of work, and number of words.
4. Submit your entry by April 4, 2018, BY EMAIL ONLY to [email protected] with “#arttales contest entry#” as the email subject line – together with a completed release form (see next item below).
5. Complete a savable pdf release form– parents must do this for youth entries under 18 – copy the document to your desktop, fill it in, save and send it along with your entry poem or short story in your email.
6. For more information contact Tobie Roach, Public Art Project Manager at 805-658-4759 or by email.
A committee of professionals, educators, and City of Ventura staff will judge entries on creativity, presentation, and correspondence to a specific artwork, to select their top three choices for separate poetry and short fiction categories in three age divisions:
• Youth (12 years or younger)
• Teen (13-17 years)
• Adult (18 years and up)
All winners receive a bound edition of the judges’ selection with cash prizes for first ($30) and second ($15) place. The Mayor of Ventura presents the awards in April or May during a reading of works by contest winners: all participants, their families and friends and the public are invited to attend this special event where refreshments are served.
Qualified entries shall:
- Either a single short story or poem (one entry per person)
- Be no longer than 500 words
- Be written solely by the entrant
- Not have been previously published
- Not be in conflict with trademark, copyright, rights of privacy, rights of publicity or any other rights, of any kind or nature, of any other person or entity
- Not include any language or other content that is indecent or inappropriate as determined by the city in its discretion.
The Municipal Art Collection, on permanent exhibit in City Hall, continues to be an important attraction for both residents and visitors. Since its inception in 1999, the collection has grown to include 92 works by 71 artists, each of whom have made a significant contribution to the history of visual art in Ventura County - a main criterion of acquisition. The Municipal Art Acquisition Program through its Municipal Art Acquisition Committee, a sub-committee of the Public Art Commission, oversees the purchase of new artworks. The Municipal Art Collection showcases the breadth and diversity of Ventura County's visual art community through the representation of multiple media, including sculpture, painting, photography, etching, and ceramics. The entire collection may be viewed online. For more information contact Cary Glenn at 805-658-4793 or email.
2017 Art Tales Winners:
Youth (12 or less) Poetry
First Place---Rachel Patrykus, Mirage Island, Age 12
Second Place---Gianne (Gigi) Garman, Splattered Waters, Age 11
Third Place---Katie Trevisan, A Whale's Tail, Age 11
Youth (12 or less) Fiction
First Place---Sidney Crutz, My Daughter, Age 12
Second Place---Amy Baumgardner , Bob the Blue Whale & the Trash Island, Age 9
Third Place---Sienna Mody, Stolen Ventura, Age 10
Teen (13-17) Poetry
First Place---Penelope (Penny) Duran, Savior of the Sea, Age 14, From TX
Second Place---Jolee Nieberding-Swanberg, Under, Age 17
Third Place---Sophie Stimer, Survivors, Age 16
Teen (13-17) Fiction
First Place---Nadia Connelly, Ventura by the Sea, Age 13
Second Place---Calista Marsh, The Last Whale, Age 16
Third Place---Anna Berezovskiy, Sun by the Sea, Age 14
Adult (18-up) Poetry
First Place---Melissa Waters, Living Waters
Second Place---Andres Rene Rodriguez, Magic Brush by the Sea
Third Place---Annabelle Warren, The Bight
Adult (18-up) Fiction
First Place---Patty Vickers, The Tides of March, From Maryland
Second Place---Juan David Cure, Luna de Viajes/Travelers Moon, From N. Carolina
Third Place---Rick Garcia, Crossing the Sea Bridge