City of Ventura Photo Contest
The City of Ventura’s 12th Annual Photo Contest winnershave been selected!
The winners will be honored at an exhibit and reception in City Hall’s Bridge Gallery, 501 Poli St., on Monday, December 4 at 5:30 pm and you are invited to attend. Following the reception, Mayor Erik Nasarenko will award certificates to contest winners in Council Chambers at 6 pm.
Seventy-two photographers submitted 240 amazing images in three categories; Environment, Architecture, and Culture and Community. Members of the public voted online for this year’s “People’s Choice” awards and a second set of judges, all visual arts professionals from the City of Ventura’s Community Partnerships division, awarded “Judges’ Choice” winners.
The 2017 City of Ventura Photo Contest winners are:
|Category 1- Environment|
People’s Choice- Hector Vargas
Judges’ Choice- Chris Ramer
|Category 2- Architecture|
People’s Choice- Tammy Sims
Judges’ Choice- Steve Cattanach
|Category 3- Culture and Community|
People’s Choice- Jeffrey Grunigen
Judges' Choice- Steve Cattanach
|Judges’ Choice Honorable Mentions|
If you are unable to attend the reception but would still like to view the winning photos, they will be on display in City Hall, 2nd floor in the Bridge Gallery, where they will be on display from December 4 through January 31, 2018. All of the 2017 entries and winning photographs can be viewed online at the Photo Contest website. For more information, please contact the City of Ventura Photo Contest Staff at 805-658-4724.
2017 Photo Contest Entries
Steve Cattanach - Judges' Choice Architecture
Chris Ramer - Judges' Choice Environment
Steve Cattanach - Judges' Choice Community & Culture
Hector Vargas - People's Choice Environment
Tammy Sims - People's Choice Architecture
Rip Rippey - Honorable Mention
Jeffrey Grunigen - People's Choice Community & Culture
Jacqueline Counter - Honorable Mention
Ventura Photo Contest Entry for the 2017 photo contest is now closed. The deadline was October 2, 2017. People's Choice Voting will occur Wednesday, November 1st through Wednesday, November 8 ending at 11:59 pm.
Photographers of all ages were invited to enter their best
Be notified about Photo Contest News and voting opportunities by signing up for the Ventura Photo Contest Newsletter.
There are two ways to win: (1) People's Choice by online votes; and (2) Judges' Choice by visual art professionals.
Voters and judges will select images that best depict Ventura in three categories. All participants are invited to a City Hall Bridge Gallery exhibit of winners in late Fall that includes a reception and City Council presentation. All contest entries are eligible to be featured in citywide publications of print and electronic media with photo credit. Please note that the photo contest coordinator may reassign some entries to a more appropriate category.
- Environment - sky, beach, mountain, island, park and wildlife
- Architecture - urban design, cityscapes, landmarks and infrastructure
- Culture & Community - children and adults involved in sports, art activities and enjoying special events
- The PHOTO is the result of CONTESTANT'S sole artistic efforts unless otherwise stated above as a collaboration.
- Except as otherwise disclosed in writing to CITY in this submittal form, the PHOTO is unique and original and does not infringe upon any copyright or patent.
- CONTESTANT warrants to CITY that he/she has lawful usage rights to the PHOTO, and that the PHOTO is free and clear of any lien. Except for title and possession, pursuant to the Copyright Act of 1976 (17 U.S.C. §101 et seq.), CONTESTANT will retain the copyright and all other rights in and to the PHOTO.
- CONTESTANT grants to CITY an irrevocable, royalty-free non-exclusive worldwide license to reproduce, to distribute, and/or to display two- or three-dimensional reproductions of the PHOTO in any manner whatsoever relating to any CITY publication or event, including, without limitation:
- Public display as well as reproduction on CITY items, such as print ads, postcards, posters, brochures, applications, television programs and the City website.
- In addition, the CITY will include CONTESTANT'S name somewhere on the document where the photo is used.
- The CITY may alter images of the PHOTO as necessary to fit into reduced or enlarged format sizes.
- The CITY may use the PHOTO on CITY merchandise and commercial items, such as a calendar, which may be sold for fundraising purposes. CITY may also use the photograph on the Internet and in Social Media in support of our mission.
- CITY may indefinitely retain a digital copy of your photograph that will be archived in the CITY’s photo library, which is accessible to CITY staff via the CITY’s online photo archive
Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 106A(3) and only to the extent that this Agreement differs, CONTESTANT expressly waives any rights that the he/she may have under Cal. Civ. Code § 987 or 17 U.S.C. §§ 101 et seq., including, without limitation, 17 U.S.C. §§ 106, 106A, and 113, or any successor statute(s) or regulation(s).
CONTESTANT agrees to release CITY, its agents, officials, employees, and volunteers from and against all liability, including copyright or patent infringement claims or causes of action, arising out of this Agreement and claims arising from CONTESTANT'S participation in the City of Ventura Photo Contest. CONTESTANT agrees to defend (with counsel satisfactory to CITY), indemnify and hold City harmless and free from all liability, whether caused by negligence or otherwise, arising out of CONTESTANT'S participation or association with the City of Ventura Photo Contest. CONTESTANT agrees to pay all costs incident to any claim, including, without limitation, attorneys' fees and consequential damages.
I agree that the above information is correct. I further agree that this agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the law of the State of California.
Rename Your Files
File names generated by the digital camera or scan must be RENAMED as follows: enter number of category above (1-3), first and last name of contestant, and short title of photograph ending with "2017 photo contest". For instance, if Mike Smith entered an architectural shot of the Ventura Pier he would rename his photo entry:
Submit Your Photos by Email
Entering is easy and free! Limit: up to 6 entries (emails) per contestant in any combination of categories. Send only one image file per email as an attachment (do not embed image files in the message area) and send to: with the subject line #photo contest entry#. Please note that some email programs are set to reduce file attachments to a low resolution format and need to be reset with submitting contest photos.
For each email the contestant must supply all the following information:
- On the email subject line: #2018 photo contest entry#
- In the message area enter:
- First and last name of contestant
- Contact phone number
- Email address
- Select category by number (1-3) above
- Date and location where photo was taken