City of Ventura Photo Contest
Ventura Photo Contest Enter the 2017 contest by October 2, 2017.
Photographers of all ages are invited to enter their best high resolution images celebrating our community in the 12th annual City of Ventura Photography Contest between January 1 and October 2, 2017. Entering is easy, free and by email at [email protected]. For more information, contact Peter Graves at 805-658-4781, or [email protected]
Be notified about Photo Contest News and voting opportunities by signing up for the Ventura Photo Contest Newsletter.
There are two ways to win: (1) People's Choice by online votes; and (2) Judges' Choice by visual art professionals.
Voters and judges will select images that best depict Ventura in three categories. All participants are invited to a City Hall Bridge Gallery exhibit of winners in late Fall that includes a reception and City Council presentation. All contest entries are eligible to be featured in citywide publications of print and electronic media with photo credit. Please note that the photo contest coordinator may reassign some entries to a more appropriate category.
- Environment - sky, beach, mountain, island, park and wildlife
- Architecture - urban design, cityscapes, landmarks and infrastructure
- Culture & Community - children and adults involved in sports, art activities and enjoying special events
Vote Online for the "People's Choice Awards" in October 2017Contestants and members of the public are invited to cast their votes online to select the "People's Choice" awards for the 2017 City of Ventura Photo Contest in October 2017.
- The PHOTO is the result of CONTESTANT'S sole artistic efforts unless otherwise stated above as a collaboration.
- Except as otherwise disclosed in writing to CITY in this submittal form, the PHOTO is unique and original and does not infringe upon any copyright or patent.
- CONTESTANT warrants to CITY that he/she has lawful usage rights to the PHOTO, and that the PHOTO is free and clear of any lien. Except for title and possession, pursuant to the Copyright Act of 1976 (17 U.S.C. §101 et seq.), CONTESTANT will retain the copyright and all other rights in and to the PHOTO.
- CONTESTANT grants to CITY an irrevocable, royalty-free non-exclusive worldwide license to reproduce, to distribute, and/or to display two- or three-dimensional reproductions of the PHOTO in any manner whatsoever relating to any CITY publication or event, including, without limitation:
- Public display as well as reproduction on CITY items, such as print ads, postcards, posters, brochures, applications, television programs and the City website.
- In addition, the CITY will include CONTESTANT'S name somewhere on the document where the photo is used.
- The CITY may alter images of the PHOTO as necessary to fit into reduced or enlarged format sizes.
- The CITY may use the PHOTO on CITY merchandise and commercial items, such as a calendar, which may be sold for fundraising purposes. CITY may also use the photograph on the Internet and in Social Media in support of our mission.
- CITY may indefinitely retain a digital copy of your photograph that will be archived in the CITY’s photo library, which is accessible to CITY staff via the CITY’s online photo archive
Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 106A(3) and only to the extent that this Agreement differs, CONTESTANT expressly waives any rights that the he/she may have under Cal. Civ. Code § 987 or 17 U.S.C. §§ 101 et seq., including, without limitation, 17 U.S.C. §§ 106, 106A, and 113, or any successor statute(s) or regulation(s).
CONTESTANT agrees to release CITY, its agents, officials, employees, and volunteers from and against all liability, including copyright or patent infringement claims or causes of action, arising out of this Agreement and claims arising from CONTESTANT'S participation in the City of Ventura Photo Contest. CONTESTANT agrees to defend (with counsel satisfactory to CITY), indemnify and hold City harmless and free from all liability, whether caused by negligence or otherwise, arising out of CONTESTANT'S participation or association with the City of Ventura Photo Contest. CONTESTANT agrees to pay all costs incident to any claim, including, without limitation, attorneys' fees and consequential damages.
I agree that the above information is correct. I further agree that this agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the law of the State of California.
Rename Your Files
File names generated by the digital camera or scan must be RENAMED as follows: enter number of category above (1-3), first and last name of contestant, and short title of photograph ending with "2017 photo contest". For instance, if Mike Smith entered an architectural shot of the Ventura Pier he would rename his photo entry:
- 2 Mike Smith Ventura Pier 2017 photo contest.jpg –or–
- 2 Mike Smith Ventura Pier 2017 photo contest.png
Submit Your Photos by Email
Entering is easy and free! Limit: up to 6 entries (emails) per contestant in any combination of categories. Send only one image file per email as an attachment (do not embed image files in the message area) and send to: with the subject line #photo contest entry#. Please note that some email programs are set to reduce file attachments to a low resolution format and need to be reset with submitting contest photos. t
For each email the contestant must supply all the following information:
- A. On the email subject line: #photo contest entry#
- B. In the message area enter:
- First and last name of contestant
- Contact phone number
- Email address
- Select category by number (1-3) above
- Date and location where photo was taken
The JC (Judges' Choice) and PC (People's Choice) winners in 5 categories for the 2016 contest were:
Category 1 Environment
JC (tie) Lysa Urban
JC (tie) Jacqueline Counter
PC Deirdra Finning
Category 2 Architecture
JC Christopher Meugniot
PC Chuck Gebert
Category 3 Portraits
JC John Ferritto
PC Tom Robinson
Category 4 Community LIfe
JC Ron Brubaker
PC Chuck Gebert
Category 5 Altered Images
JC & PC Tammy Sims
View the 2007- 2015 winning photographs