City of Ventura Photo Contest
Cast your vote!
Entries will be judged by visual arts professionals who will award the "Judges' Choice" winners and by the public for the "People's Choice" winners. Voting polls are open to the public from October 15 and close on November 1st at11:59 pm.
Follow these steps:
Step 1: View the 2019 Entries listed below for each category
Step 3: Click "Finish" on survey by 11:59 pm on Friday, November 1, 2019 for your vote to be counted.
Category 4: Parks & Recreation
This category will focus on children and adults involved in City of Ventura Parks, Recreation & Community Partnerships sponsored sports, classes, art, and special event activities.
The City of Ventura 2019 Photo Contest is now closed for submissions! Eighty two artists submitted their photos. Of the two hundred and ninety three photos, one hundred and twenty two were in Beach Life, ninety seven in Environment, forty seven in Architecture and twenty seven in City of Ventura Parks & Recreation. The mission of this contest is to celebrate the City of Ventura. Therefore all photos entered must be taken within our city limits or directly adjacent—beaches, mountains, etc. Entries will be judged by visual arts professionals who will award the “Judges’ Choice” winners and by the public for the “People’s Choice” winners.
This contest was open from Feb. 25 - Sept. 30, 2019. Voting will take place from Oct. 15 - Nov. 1, 2019.
Questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 805-658-4781
2019 - General Contest Information
The mission of the contest is to celebrate the City of Ventura. Therefore all photos entered must be taken within our city limits or directly adjacent--beaches, mountains, Channel Islands, etc. Photos taken of locations outside the City of Ventura will be disqualified, as will low-resolution images that cannot be well reproduced in printed materials.
There are two ways to win: (1) People's Choice by online votes; and (2) Judges' Choice by visual art professionals.
Voters and judges will select images that best depict Ventura in four categories. All participants are invited to City Hall Bridge Gallery in late fall for a City Council presentation. All contest entries are eligible to be featured in citywide publications of print and electronic media with photo credit. Please note that the photo contest coordinator may reassign some entries to a more appropriate category.
City of Ventura Photo Contest 2019 Agreement
In submitting the attached photo(s) (PHOTO) to the City of San Buenaventura (CITY) and participating in the City of Ventura Photo Contest I /we (CONTESTANT) hereby warrant and agree to the following:
- The PHOTO is the result of CONTESTANT'S sole artistic efforts unless otherwise stated above as a collaboration.
- Except as otherwise disclosed in writing to CITY in this submittal form, the PHOTO is unique and original and does not infringe upon any copyright or patent.
- CONTESTANT warrants to CITY that he/she has lawful usage rights to the PHOTO, and that the PHOTO is free and clear of any lien. Except for title and possession, pursuant to the Copyright Act of 1976 (17 U.S.C. §101 et seq.), CONTESTANT will retain the copyright and all other rights in and to the PHOTO.
- CONTESTANT grants to CITY an irrevocable, royalty-free non-exclusive worldwide license to reproduce, to distribute, and/or to display two- or three-dimensional reproductions of the PHOTO in any manner whatsoever relating to any CITY publication or event, including, without limitation:
- Public display in City-owned spaces as well as reproduction on CITY items, such as print ads, postcards, posters, brochures, applications, television programs, and the City website.
- In addition, the CITY will include CONTESTANT'S name somewhere on the document where the photo is used.
- The CITY may alter images of the PHOTO as necessary.
- The CITY may use the PHOTO on CITY merchandise and commercial items, such as a calendar, which may be sold for fundraising purposes. CITY may also use the photograph on the Internet and in Social Media in support of our mission.
- CITY may indefinitely retain a digital copy of your photograph that will be archived in the City's photo library, which is accessible to CITY staff via the City's online photo archive
Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 106A(3) and only to the extent that this Agreement differs, CONTESTANT expressly waives any rights that he/she may have under California Civic Code § 987 or 17 U.S.C. §§ 101 et seq., including, without limitation, 17 U.S.C. §§ 106, 106A, and 113, or any successor statute(s) or regulation(s).
CONTESTANT agrees to release CITY, its agents, officials, employees, and volunteers from and against all liability, relating to copyright, patent infringement, or intellectual property claims or causes of action, arising out of this Agreement and claims arising from CONTESTANT'S participation in the City of Ventura Photo Contest. In addition, CONTESTANT agrees that for any minor (less than 18 years old) depicted in any submittal to CITY, that CONTESTANT has obtained a duly executed release from such minor(s) parent or legal guardian authorizing the CONTESTANT to use the image of such minor(s). CONTESTANT agrees to indemnify and defend CITY (with counsel satisfactory to CITY) against any and all claims and liability related to the above matters. CONTESTANT agrees to pay all costs incident to any claim, including, without limitation, attorneys' fees and consequential damages.
I agree that the above information is correct. I further agree that this agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the law of the State of California.
2019 - Entry Requirements
• Formats accepted in .JPG or .PNG
• Only digital formats will be accepted. We do not accept hard copies of photos
• Minimum file size 3 megabytes
• Image size minimum 5”x7”
• Be sure to set your camera or smartphone settings at the highest possible resolution for best results
• Be sure your email program is not set to reduce your attachments to a low-resolution format
• Please submit the image only - do not embed captions, words, watermarks or photographer's name on the image. The city will add the photographer's photo credit to any image it uses using a standard format
2019 - Naming & Submitting
File names must be named as follows: category number (1-4), first and last name of contestant, short title of photograph and ending with "2019 photo contest".
Example: if Mike Smith entered a shot of architecture on Main Street he would rename his photo entry:
Submit Your Photos by Email
• Limit: up to six entries per contestant in any combination of categories
• Send only one image file per email as an attachment (do not embed image files in the message area)
• Send to email@example.com
• Subject line should read #2019 photo contest entry#
In the message area enter:
1. First and last name of contestant
2. Contact phone number
3. Email address
4. Select category by number (1-4)
**Please note that some email programs are set to reduce file attachments to a low-resolution format, check to be sure that your file is being sent at the original file size.**
By submitting entries, the contestant acknowledges and agrees to the terms of the Entry Agreement.
For more information contact Pete Graves at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-658-4781