Westpark Community Center
We provide a variety of safe, educational and affordable youth programs and services with an emphasis on teaching boys and girls from West Ventura the importance of self-esteem, leadership, good character, responsibility and respect through:
Afterschool Programs – PEAK & High School Drop-in – Sports Leagues – Community Special Events – Camps – Recreation Enrichment
Operating Hours• PEAK Afterschool Program:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - 2:30-5:30 pm, Wednesday 1:00-5:30 pm
• High School Drop-in Program: Monday-Friday 2:30-6:00 pm
• Summer Hours: Monday-Friday 12:00-5:30 pm
• Closed weekends except for special events or organized sports leagues
· Department of Parks, Recreation & Community Partnerships Youth Program Coordinator:
Anita Diaz: 805-648-1895 [email protected]
1) Homework – Westpark staff is available to assist students in their daily homework needs. Computers and Kindles are also available for their research and school projects.
2) Recreation Enrichment – Arts and Crafts encourages youth to develop their creativity and cultural awareness. The art program is conducted throughout the week, 3:00-5:30 pm. An experienced adult staff person with extensive knowledge in a variety of art media teaches our students.
3) Computer Education – 20 computers are available for homework, research, Internet access and fun in the center’s computer lab. Our computers can be used for school, job searches, college research, financial aid and more. Staff is available to assist students on a daily basis.
4) Fitness – Westpark offers a variety of fitness programs for all youth 6-17 years of age. Instruction for boxing is scheduled for 6-12 year olds from 5:00-6:00 pm. Followed by 13-17 year olds from 6:00 pm-7:00 pm. Martial Arts is also offered for 6-17 years of age. Students are taught the fundamentals of Akido-Chaiu-Mu-Sool. Classes are conducted on Friday evenings and cost is $30 per year. Students also pay for their belts as they advance in the class.
5) Music – Westpark has its own studio classes in musical instruments, singing and dance. Also, the studio includes DJ equipment for students wanting to learn how to mix their own music. Times vary, call for information.
· Westpark conducts a variety of sports leagues throughout the year. Leagues are for boys and girls and include games, playoffs, award ceremony and uniforms. Costs are minimal.Fall 2017 leagues include:
Soccer, Basketball, Fag football and T-ball clinic
Registration will be held in August. Please call the center to be placed on our mailing list.
• Camps are offered: Spring, Fall, Summer
Community EventsWestpark Community Center conducts a variety of community events. These events are for the whole family to enjoy throughout the year.
1) Dia de Los Muertos – A celebration of the Community’s ‘Day of the Dead’ normally scheduled in October. Activities include: Aztec dancers, face painting, skull art, folklorico dancing, piñatas, altar presentation, loteria and capping the evening with posole dinner.
2) Lights on Celebration – An event celebrating our after-school program. An open house is conducted so the community can tour our rooms, visit staff and ask any questions about our programs.
3) Christmas Program – Youth perform holiday songs for their families. Photos are taken with Santa and gifts are donated through the Fire Department. The evening also includes a tamale dinner for family members.
4) Family Night Out – Westpark is open late at night for parents to enjoy some social time of their own. Youth are provided dinner and allowed to enjoy all of the many recreational equipment provided at the center.
5) Monthly Food Distribution & Health Screenings – Sponsored by Food Share a variety of food, fruits and vegetables are distributed to our residents free of charge. Also, included are health screening by the County Health Department. Those include blood pressure, BMI or body mass index, cholesterol and diabetes testing.