The City of Ventura is using this website to educate, inform, and direct interested parties to regulations, policies, and documents associated with the use of property within the City that is likely to be subject to flooding by stormwater.
ORGANIZATION OF AUTHORITY
FEMA administers a National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) that establishes Floodways and Zones on maps (FIRM's), imposes Development and Use Standards, and issues Policies of Flood Insurance.
The County Watershed Protection District collects a special property related tax to fund Regional compliance with FEMA's NFIP, to monitor and study regional stormwater flows and systems, and to facilitate Regional stormwater management cooperation.
The City of Ventura collects information from FEMA, the County Watershed Protection District, and our own stormwater management programs, facilitates FEMA NFIP development compliance and takes enforcement action when required to maintain compliance with FEMA's NFIP standards.
Storm Hazard Map
HELPFUL SOURCES OF INFORMATION
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Home Page (Identify Ventura, CA or place zip code into the location search screen): https://www.weather.gov/lox/
- NOAA Hourly Forecast website
- NOAA Flood Infographics website
- County of Ventura - Watershed Protection District webpage: https://www.vcwatershed.net/fws/
- County of Ventura - Watershed Rain Fall Totals: https://www.vcwatershed.net/fws/gmap.html
- County of Ventura - Watershed Weather Forecast: https://www.vcwatershed.net/fws/WxLinks.html
- For questions on flood insurance coverage and rates: 1-800-427-4661 or
- For general information about flood insurance: www.FloodSmart.gov
- FEMA Information Resource Library - www.fema.gov/library
- FEMA Publications: FEMA Distribution Center at 1-800-480-2520
- NFIP Info: www.fema.gov/business/nfip or 1-800-427-4661
- FEMA Map Service Center: http://msc.fema.gov or 1-800-358-9616
- FEMA Regions and Contacts: www.fema.gov/about/
- About Flood Insurance: https://www.fema.gov/national-flood-insurance-program
- FEMA Map Assistance Center 1-877-FEMA MAP (1-877-336-2627)
- Ventura County Sheriff Emergency Operations Center: http://www.readyventuracounty.org/
- FEMA RiskMAP Project: http://www.fema.gov/library/viewRecord.do?id=4119
- FEMA Floodplain Management webpage: http://www.fema.gov/library/viewRecord.do?id=7565
OPEN PACIFIC COAST STUDY (OPC)
CA COASTAL ANALYSIS AND MAPPING PROJECT (CCAMP)
The Federal Emergency Management Agency has informed the City that proposed changes to the floodplain maps for the City have been published in the Federal Register and are available for public review and comment. In an effort to make this public notice easier for the citizens of the City of Ventura to access the maps and understand the process, links to the maps are listed below. For more information, call Brad Starr at (805) 654-7746 or email at [email protected].
STUDIES AND PROJECTS
CURSORY STUDIES BY COUNTY WATERSHED PROTECTION DISTRICT
The following Adobe PDF files are preliminary studies conducted by the County for the purposes of identifying potentially problematic stormwater drainage areas within the City. These are offered for general information purposes only. There is no guarantee of study accuracy and additional review of these types of studies has found gross generalizations that could greatly affect the extent of local flooding.
Sanjon Barranca Study (85MB PDF)
Arundell Barranca Study (22MB PDF)
Prince Barranca Study (52MB PDF)
These studies and projects are more detailed and are likely to result in formal changes to FEMA's Flood Insurance Rate Maps.
Levee's certifications (38MB PDF)
FEMA MAP SERVICE CENTER
Frequently Asked Questions
National Flood Insurance Program
Pacific Ocean Mapping Project (CCAMP/OPC)
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS
Questions and comments regarding this website and/or the information provided can be logged into MyVenturaAccess so that you can track the progress of your question online or sent via e-mail to [email protected]