Hazardous Waste & Toxics Reduction
Proper Disposal City of Ventura residents and small businesses (CESQG's) are encouraged to visit these monthly FREE Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Events and take advantage of the opportunity to dispose of HHW items properly - and avoid the risks associated with stockpiling hazardous waste (such as home fires associated with improper storage.) More than 200,000 pounds of hazardous materials are collected from Ventura residents each year.
Typical Items Typical Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) includes items such as:
- Batteries (Automotive and Household
- Cosmetics (Nail Polishes, Removers, Etc.)
- Fluorescent Tubes and Light Bulbs (CFL's)
- Non-Mind Altering Drugs
- Pesticides and Fertilizers
- Pool Supplies
- Thinners and Lacquer
- Used Oil Filters
- Used or Contaminated Motor Oil and Gasoline
Collection Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events are held the third Saturday of each month. There is no collection event in December. Sign up for the next HHW event today by clicking on the link in the navigation bar to the left.
- Appointments are Required. Please call 805-652-4525 (Monday - Thursdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Appointment times for the event are from 9 to 11:45 a.m. and 1 to 1:45 p.m. at 15 minute intervals
- In case of rain or inclement weather, event could be canceled. Every effort will be made to notify those with reservations of any change in schedule
- HHW Collection Events are for City of Ventura Residents Only. If you live elsewhere in the County check the County of Ventura website to find the information on an event in your community
- Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations limit 15 gallons or 125 lbs. of material that can be legally transported per visit
- Non-narcotic medications are accepted at the HHW events, narcotic medications can be taken back to pharmacies or contact the Ventura Police Department to find out when they are holding a medical waste collection event
- Needle Disposal is available through Ventura County Medical Center.
Alternative Drop-off LocationsSome types of HHW are less toxic and, in limited quantities, can be taken to authorized sites during regular business hours. Gold Coast Recycling accepts: latex paints, motor oil and filters, antifreeze, household batteries, auto batteries, fluorescent bulbs and tubes and electronic waste. Household batteries can be dropped off at one of the City's Tech Recycling stations; City Hall and Public Works Maintenance Yard. Some electronics can be taken to various businesses in town. Latex paint can be dropped off at Fuller Paint & Glass (residents only, no commercial painters).
For medical wastes, including used medicines and medical sharps, contact the Ventura County Health Care Agency for more information at 805-654-5007. California residents using Novo Nordisk medicines and needles can request a free sharps disposal container from Novo Nordisk, which includes a mailing label for shipping the full container back for disposal. Register for a free sharps container at novocare.com/needledisposal or by calling 1-877-765-3030.
Automotive and marine batteries can be dropped off at Powerstride Battery. Other auto part stores will also accept your old battery with the purchase of a new battery.
There are over a dozen used oil certified collections centers in the City of Ventura collecting used oil and oil filters, find the one nearest you by visiting http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil/Reports/CenterSearch.