Hazardous Waste & Toxics Reduction
Categories of Waste:
City of Ventura residents and small businesses (CESQG's) are encouraged to visit these monthly FREE Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Events and take advantage of the opportunity to dispose of HHW items properly - and avoid the risks associated with stockpiling hazardous waste (such as home fires associated with improper storage.) More than 200,000 pounds of hazardous materials are collected from Ventura residents each year.
Typical Items Typical Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) includes items such as:
- Batteries (Automotive and Household)
- Compressed Gas/Propane Tanks (Under 5 gal.)
- Cosmetics (Nail Polishes, Removers, Etc.)
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fluorescent Tubes and Light Bulbs (CFL's)
- Non-Mind Altering Drugs
- Pesticides and Fertilizers
- Pool Supplies
- Thinners and Lacquer
- Used Oil Filters
- Used or Contaminated Motor Oil and Gasoline
Collection Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events are held the third Saturday of each month, from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Household hazardous waste will only be accepted between these specified hours. There is no collection event in December.
- Appointments are Required. Please sign up for the next HHW event today by clicking on the link in the navigation bar to the left or call 805-652-4525 (Monday - Thursdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Appointment times for the event are from 9 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. at 15 minute intervals
- In case of rain or inclement weather, event could be canceled. Every effort will be made to notify those with reservations of any change in schedule
- HHW Collection Events are for City of Ventura Residents Only. If you live elsewhere in the County check the County of Ventura website to find the information on an event in your community
- Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations limit 15 gallons or 125 lbs. of material that can be legally transported per visit
- Non-narcotic medications are accepted at the HHW events, narcotic medications can be taken back to pharmacies or contact the Ventura Police Department to find out when they are holding a medical waste collection event
- Needle Disposal is available through Ventura County Medical Center.
Material Reuse Program:Many of the hazardous materials disposed of at our HHW events are recycled. The City of Ventura uses a service provider and certified waste hauler to transport waste to certified disposal facilities. Flammable liquids such as gasoline, diesel, kerosene and oil-based paints are blended into fuel and used to power cement kilns. The glass, plastic and mercury in fluorescent lights and the acid, plastic and metals in batteries are recovered and recycled for use in new products. Latex paint is reprocessed and mixed with new paint or sold as completely recycled paint. Used oil and anti-freeze are re-refined and sold as recycled products.
The most environmentally friendly way to dispose of unused hazardous materials is to reuse it for its intended purpose. Usable items, like paint, household cleaners and automotive fluids, dropped off at our HHW events are segregated and offered to residents of Ventura for free. Material availability is subject to change and materials are given away on first come first serve basis.
Business Waste – Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) ProgramBusinesses in the City of Ventura that generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month may qualify for the CESQG program. To find out if your business qualifies or to make an appointment to drop off waste at our next event, call (805) 652-4525. Participation in the CESQG Program is by appointment only and business waste will not be accepted during the residential drop-off hours of 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Alternative Drop-off LocationsSome types of HHW are less toxic and, in limited quantities, can be taken to authorized sites during regular business hours. Gold Coast Recycling accepts: latex paints, motor oil and filters, antifreeze, household batteries, auto batteries, fluorescent bulbs and tubes and electronic waste. Household batteries can be dropped off at one of the City's Tech Recycling stations; City Hall and Public Works Maintenance Yard. Some electronics can be taken to various businesses in town. Latex paint can be dropped off at Fuller Paint & Glass (residents only, no commercial painters).
For medical wastes, including used medicines and medical sharps, contact the Ventura County Health Care Agency for more information at 805-654-5007. California residents using Novo Nordisk medicines and needles can request a free sharps disposal container from Novo Nordisk, which includes a mailing label for shipping the full container back for disposal. Register for a free sharps container at novocare.com/needledisposal or by calling 1-877-765-3030.
Automotive and marine batteries can be dropped off at Powerstride Battery. Other auto part stores will also accept your old battery with the purchase of a new battery.
There are over a dozen used oil certified collections centers in the City of Ventura collecting used oil and oil filters, find the one nearest you by visiting http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil/Reports/CenterSearch.