Hazardous Waste & Toxics Reduction
City of Ventura residents and small businesses (CESQG's) are encouraged to visit these monthly FREE Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Events and take advantage of the opportunity to dispose of HHW items properly - and avoid the risks associated with stockpiling hazardous waste (such as home fires associated with improper storage.) More than 200,000 pounds of hazardous materials are collected from Ventura residents each year.
Typical Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) includes items such as:
- Batteries (Automotive and Household
- Cosmetics (Nail Polishes, Removers, Etc.)
- Fluorescent Tubes and Light Bulbs (CFL's)
- Non-Mind Altering Drugs
- Pesticides and Fertilizers
- Pool Supplies
- Thinners and Lacquer
- Used Oil Filters
- Used or Contaminated Motor Oil and Gasoline
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events are held the third Saturday of each month. There is no collection event in December. Sign up for the next HHW event today by clicking on the link in the navigation bar to the left.
- Appointments are Required. Please call 805-652-4525 (Monday - Thursdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Appointment times for the event are from 9 to 11:45 a.m. and 1 to 1:45 p.m. at 15 minute intervals
- In case of rain or inclement weather, event could be canceled. Every effort will be made to notify those with reservations of any change in schedule
- HHW Collection Events are for City of Ventura Residents Only. If you live elsewhere in the County check the County of Ventura website to find the information on an event in your community
- Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations limit 15 gallons or 125 lbs. of material that can be legally transported per visit
- Non-narcotic medications are accepted at the HHW events, narcotic medications can be taken back to pharmacies or contact the Ventura Police Department to find out when they are holding a medical waste collection event
- Needle Disposal is available through Ventura County Medical Center.