Hazardous Waste & Toxics Reduction
Types of Waste
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Disposal
City of Ventura residents and small businesses (CESQGs) are encouraged to visit these monthly FREE Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Events and take advantage of the opportunity to dispose of HHW items properly - and avoid the risks associated with stockpiling hazardous waste (such as home fires associated with improper storage.) More than 200,000 pounds of hazardous materials are collected from Ventura residents each year.
Examples of HHW Items Typical Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) includes items such as:
- Batteries (Automotive and Household)
- Compressed Gas/Propane Tanks (Under 5 gal.)
- Cosmetics (Nail Polishes, Removers, Etc.)
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fluorescent Tubes and Light Bulbs (CFLs)
- Non-Mind Altering Drugs
- Pesticides and Fertilizers
- Pool Supplies
- Smoke Detectors
- Thinners and Lacquer
- Used Oil Filters
- Used or Contaminated Motor Oil and Gasoline
Monthly HHW Collection Events Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events are held the third Saturday of each month, from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Household hazardous waste will only be accepted between these specified hours. There is no collection event in December.
- Appointments are
Required. Please sign up for the next HHW event today by clicking on the link in the navigation bar to the left or call 805-652-4525 (Monday - Thursdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Appointment times for the event are from 9 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. at
- In case of rain or inclement weather,
eventcould be canceled. Every effort will be made to notify those with reservations of any change in schedule
- HHW Collection Events are for
Cityof Ventura Residents Only. If you live elsewhere in the County check the County of Ventura website to find the information on an event in your community
- Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations limit 15 gallons or 125 lbs. of material that can be legally transported per visit
- Non-narcotic medications are accepted at the HHW events, narcotic medications can be taken back to pharmacies or contact the Ventura Police Department to find out when they are holding a medical waste collection event. More information can be found on the Ventura Police Department webpage Drug Drop Off.
- Needle Disposal is available through Ventura County Medical Center.
Material Reuse Program:Many of the hazardous materials disposed of at our HHW events are recycled. The City of Ventura uses a service provider and certified waste hauler to transport waste to certified disposal facilities. Flammable liquids such as gasoline, diesel, kerosene and oil-based paints are blended into fuel and used to power cement kilns. The glass, plastic and mercury in fluorescent lights and the acid, plastic
The most environmentally friendly way to dispose of unused hazardous materials is to reuse it for its intended purpose. Usable items, like paint, household cleaners
Business Waste – Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) ProgramBusinesses in the City of Ventura that generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month may qualify for the CESQG program. To find out if your business qualifies or to make an appointment to drop off waste at our next event, call (805) 652-4525. Participation in the CESQG Program is by appointment only and business waste will not be accepted during the residential drop-off hours of 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Alternative Drop-off LocationsSome types of HHW are less toxic and, in limited quantities, can be taken to authorized sites during regular business hours. Gold Coast Recycling
For medical wastes, including used medicines and medical sharps, contact the Ventura County Health Care Agency for more information at 805-654-5007. California residents using Novo Nordisk medicines and needles can request a free sharps disposal container from Novo Nordisk, which includes a mailing label for shipping the full container back for disposal. Register for a free sharps container at novocare.com/needledisposal or by calling 1-877-765-3030.
Automotive and marine batteries can be dropped off at Powerstride Battery. Other auto part stores will also accept your old battery with the purchase of a new battery.
There are over a dozen used oil certified collections centers in the City of Ventura collecting used oil and oil filters, find the one nearest you by visiting http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil/Reports/CenterSearch.