Join Our Team
Last Content Update:
The Ventura Fire Department serves the City of Ventura, which is home to over 110,000 residents. Additionally, the city has a variety of offerings bringing tourists and visitors on a daily basis. Downtown Ventura, the Ventura Community College District, the Ventura County Jail and Government Center, and the Ventura County Medical Center are just a few of the large draws. Beyond that, Ventura is home to state beaches, trails, over 20 parks, and many thriving businesses.
Currently Hiring - Lateral Firefighter Paramedics
We're looking for men and women who are interested in a fire department with a commitment to enhancing the quality of life and the environment through the professional delivery of all-hazards emergency response, community education, and fire inspection services. We value service to others, trust, respect, integrity, communication, and vitality.
The Benefit Package
You'll enjoy great medical, educational, and salary benefits.
Lateral Firefighter Paramedics: New laterals will be eligible for the following compensation package:
- Salary: $91,500 - $100,952 annually, depending on qualifications
- Merit-based step increases occur at 6 months and 12 months of employment
- +3% EMT certification added to base pay
- Medical & Dental Insurance: Up to $1,519 monthly towards a selection of plans
- Vision Insurance: City paid coverage for employees and their dependents
- Life insurance: City paid term life insurance of $10,000.
- Retirement: CalPERS retirement system
- Medicare: Employees participate only in the Medicare portion of Social Security
- Holiday & Vacation: 134 hours of holiday time, in addition to 112 hours of vacation accrued each year, with increased of accrued time based on length of service.
- Student Loan Forgiveness: The City qualifies as an eligible employer.
- Wellness Program: Includes an on-site gym, a comfort, therapy dog, a Peer Support Team, bi-annual physical fitness evaluations with sports therapy specialists, and the support of a local non-fit, the Ventura Fire Foundation.
- Uniform Allowance: All uniform and PPE needs provided. In addition to that, employees receive $485 per year.
- Schedule: 48 /96
- Speciality Incentives and Training Opportunities: The Ventura Fire Department encourages all staff to pursue a variety of interests, and offers the training to do so.
- Specialty teams include: Urban Search & Rescue, Hazardous Materials, and Ocean Rescue.
- Wildland firefighting courses are offered throughout the year.
- Ongoing EMS training and recertification education are provided in-house.
Find more details here: City of Ventura Employment Opportunities
The Application Process
The process is lengthy because we only hire the most qualified.