The Community Development Department is responsible for planning and zoning, building and safety, code enforcement and housing and redevelopment for the City of Ventura. Our department works to ensure that new construction and additions to existing structures meet the policies and guidelines that have been established for public safety, zoning and development.
The Community Development Department also works with various city commissions that help guide and advise the City Council regarding growth in the city. Many projects that come before the city for review are presented to one or more commissions or committees for recommendations to the City Council.
Community Development Updates
Form-Based Code Overlays
The City of Ventura recently adopted its 6th Cycle (2021-2029) in January 2022. There were several new housing sites that were identified in the Housing Element, one on Telegraph Road and a few on Johnson Drive. These sites will be rezoned to allow housing, but have limited development regulations and do not include sufficient design standards to ensure that buildings will be high quality and well-designed. The Form-Based Code Overlays are being developed to be placed on these sites to provide objective design standards to achieve the community’s design goals.
A workshop was held with the Design Review Committee on August 31, 2022 to kick off this project and garner preliminary feedback. Materials from that workshop are listed below:
- August 31, 2022 workshop recording
- August 31, 2022 workshop PowerPoint Presentation
- August 31, 2022 workshop Menti Poll Results
The City of Ventura currently has several form-based codes throughout the city. These existing codes are being used as the basis for the overlays. Below are the existing form-based codes:
- Downtown Specific Plan (PDF)
- Parklands Specific Plan (PDF)
- Saticoy Village Specific Plan (PDF)
- UC Hansen (The Farm) Specific Plan (PDF)
- Midtown Corridors Code (PDF)
- Victoria Avenue Corridor Plan and Development Code (PDF)
Feedback from the Design Review Committee, design professionals, and the community are being gathered to incorporate in the creation of the overlays. A draft of the overlays will be created and released for public review and to brought to the Design Review Committee for discussion. It will then go through the adoption process which includes review and recommendation by the Planning Commission to the City Council for a decision on the overlays.
To participate in the process, please feel free to review the above materials and provide your comments, feedback, and/or questions to us. You can contact Levi Hill, Acting Planning Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Draft Local Coastal Program Amendment - NOTICE OF AVAILABILITY AND NOTICE OF HEARINGS
San Buenaventura Municipal Code Amendment to Amend Division 24 (Zoning Regulations) for Streamlining Purposes
Notice of Availability (PDF) - Draft LCP Implementation Plan (IP) Amendment.
- Draft LCP IP Amendment (PDF) - The proposed LCP Amendment requests modifications to the San Buenaventura Municipal Code Division 24 (Zoning Regulations) for streamlining purposes. The proposed modifications are in accordance with those changed approved by City Council Ordinance No. 2021-017, with the addition of Section I.3. related to PD permits.
- Notice of Hearing for Request to File Local Coastal Program Amendment.
- June 27, 2022 - Public Hearing - A public hearing was conducted to consider a resolution authorizing submittal of a Local Coastal Program Amendment adding section 24.105.300, "Streamlining Process", to implement the streamlining of the development process in the Coastal Zone. This item was scheduled for City Council final action at the City Council Meeting on June 27, 2022.
- Draft Resolution (PDF) - Authorizing submittal of a Local Coastal Program Amendment to the California Coastal Commission, consisting of the addition of Section 24.105.300 to the San Buenaventura Municipal Code to implement the streamlining of the development process in the Coastal Zone.
- For any questions related to the Draft Local Coastal Program Amendment, please contact Levi Hill, Acting Planning Manager, at email@example.com.
This is a working map that will be regularly updated to keep the community informed of the development activities occurring in the city. Information includes:
- New Application - Projects received within the last 30 days.
- Under Review - Projects that are under planning review.
- Set for Hearing - Projects that have been scheduled for review at a Public Hearing.
- Recently Acted On - Projects that have received an approval or denial from a Hearing Body and are in their appeal period.
- Entitled - Projects that have passed their appeal period and can submit for Building permits.
- Under Construction - Projects that have received Building permits and are being constructed.
If you have any questions about any of the projects, please contact the project planner that is listed for more information.
Mon Dec. 5
Tue Dec. 6