Mayor's Arts Awards
The nomination period for 2018 is now open! Please review the nomination packet and submit by the September 6 deadline.
Established in 2005, the Mayor's Arts Awards recognize the contributions to the cultural community by city residents, artists, educators, organizations and business leaders. The goal of this program is to help cultivate greater visibility and understanding of the value of the arts, as well as grow new leadership and new patrons of the arts.
2018 Mayor's Arts Awards Nomination Timeline:
Thurs., Aug. 9- Nomination forms released
Thurs., Sept. 6- Nominations due by 5 pm
Week of Sept. 17- Review of nominations by
Thurs., Sept. 27- Honoree selections presented to the Cultural Affairs Commission
Mon., Oct. 8- Honorees announced
Thurs., Nov. 8- Mayor's Arts Awards Reception
- Arts Patron - a business or individual whose strong support of the arts has been ongoing through philanthropic and/or volunteer service
- Artist in the Community - an established individual artist (in any discipline) for artistic excellence and singular efforts in contributing to Ventura's cultural vitality
- Creative Entrepreneur - a locally owned for-profit business which exemplifies the impact and vitality of Ventura's creative economy
- Arts Leader - a nonprofit arts professional who has demonstrated outstanding leadership, organizational stewardship, and partnership within the local arts community
- Arts Educator - an individual or organization whose achievements and contributions to arts education have been significant and far-reaching
- Emerging Artist - awarded to a working artist (in any discipline) under the age of 40 who has demonstrated outstanding promise and commitment to the Ventura arts community (students are ineligible)
- Student Artist - awarded to an active student artist (in any discipline) under the age of 19 who has demonstrated outstanding promise and commitment to the arts.
A panel of community members, including representatives from the arts, civic and business communities, will review nominations based on the following criteria:
- Significance and magnitude of the nominee's contributions to citizens of Ventura
- Leadership in the arts community and service to the arts over a significant period of time
- Demonstration of having set a positive example
- Benefit and impact of the nominee's contribution to the citizens of the City of Ventura
- Potential contribution to the arts (in the Emerging Artist category)
These awards are presented as a joint project of the city departments of City Manager's Office and Parks, Recreation and Community Partnerships.