Ready for Rain
Floods can be serious catastrophes and can be caused by a variety of factors, including a sudden accumulation of rain, rising rivers, tidal surges, ice jams and dam failures. In Ventura, heavy rain affects our streets (think Harbor Boulevard) and can cause an extreme hazard to the safety of your home.
Before heavy rain or flooding
Be prepared to respond to flooding by taking the following actions before the rains and flooding begin:
- Listen to local weather forecasts and stay aware of upcoming changes.
- Use sandbags to protect areas around your property from flooding. Sand and sandbags are available for Ventura residents at the City's Maintenance Yard, located at 336 Sanjon Road.
- Supplies are limited and available on a first come, first serve basis. Supplies are in the parking lot for easy pickup, open from dawn to dusk.
- Clear debris and overgrowth from gutters and storm drains to ensure water can effectively leave your property.
- Register for VC Alert: www.VCAlert.org.
- Discuss the possibility of local flooding with your family. Have a plan for wherever you spend time- home, work, school- and prepare for possible power outages.
- Check the contents of your emergency go-kit. Don't have one? Watch this video and build one today!
- Identify safe routes from your home or work place to high ground. Determine whether you can use these routes during flooding or storms.
During heavy rain or flooding
If a flood, or heavy rain, is likely to occur, you should: