The Ventura Police Department provides a Law Enforcement Explorer Program to educate and involve young men and women in the community in local police operations, interest them in the field of law enforcement, and help them building relationships with the police officers that serve their community!
The Ventura Police Explorer Program is designed to give community members aged 14-18, and still enrolled in high school, the opportunity to earn first-hand knowledge of the challenges, duties, complexities, and responsibilities of a police officer and to gain a better understanding of the law enforcement profession and local city government. The program gives young residents the opportunity to learn more about the Ventura Police Department while developing valuable career, leadership, social, and life skills found in serving their community.
What is Exploring?
All Exploring programs are based on the following five areas of emphasis:
- Career Opportunities
- Life Skills
- Character Development
- Leadership Experience
As an Explorer, you will participate in:
- Patrol Ride-Alongs
- Traffic Control
- Accident Investigations
- Explorer Academy Preparation
- Drug Awareness
- Defensive Tactics
- Station Operations
- Specialized Details
- Evidence Collection and Processing
- Explorer Competitions
- Marching and Physical Training
- Community Service
- Exposure to City Government
- and much more!
- Be a graduate of the eighth grade and be between the ages of 14-18 years old.
- Be enrolled in high school.
- Live or attend school in the city of Ventura.
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA).
- Maintain a good driving record - if applicable.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Pass an applicant screening process.
- Be of good moral character and not engage in the use of drugs or alcohol.
- Have an interest in learning about law enforcement and in serving the community.
- Attend regular meetings - two per month.
- Be dependable!
Will I Receive Training?
As a Law Enforcement Explorer, you will attend a three-week, 120-hour Academy designed exclusively for explorers. The course is usually scheduled during the summer. You will be permitted to fully participate in the Explorer program until the next academy is available.
How to Apply
- Complete the online form
- Download the fillable PDF application in English or Spanish, complete, and email to Commander Sam Arroyo at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download the application in English or Spanish, print the application, complete, and return or mail the form to: