Fireworks are a wonderful part of the Independence Day tradition, but pose a serious threat to wildfire and danger to personal injury. With a year round fire season, the fire risk to our community is substantial and cannot be ignored.
It is illegal to possess, store, sell, use, or handle fireworks in the City of Ventura.
- If you've purchased fireworks not knowing they're illegal, please safely surrender them by calling our Fire Prevention Division at 805-658-4717. No questions asked.
- Firework disturbances that are in-progress or pose an immediate threat should be reported by calling 9-1-1. The reporting party should be prepared to provide detailed information about the location and suspect.
- If there is no immediate threat, and an accurate location can still be provided, please report illegal firework activity by calling our 24/7 non-emergency number at 805-650-8010.
Additionally, in 2018, the Ventura City Council adopted a Fireworks Social Host Ordinance. Under this ordinance, any homeowner, renter, or person in charge of a residence or other private property who knows or should know of the sale, use, and/or possession of any fireworks on private property are subject to a civil penalty levied by the City of Ventura. The ordinance pertains to any person who hosts, organizes, supervises, officiates, conducts, or accepts responsibility for a gathering on private property.
If you choose to use legal fireworks:
Fireworks are illegal in the City of Ventura. If you travel for the Fourth of July and consumer fireworks are legal at that location, be sure to follow these safety tips:
- Never allow children to handle fireworks
- Older children should use them only under close adult supervision
- Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Wear fire resistant clothing and protective eyewear
- Never hold lighted fireworks in your hands or indoors
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person
- Only light devices one at a time and maintain a safe distance
- Do not re-light or handle fireworks that have malfunctioned
- Soak fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding
- Keep a bucket or water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don't go off, or in case of fire