The City of Ventura voters approved a ballot measure for the taxation of cannabis in the City of Ventura in November of 2020. City Council approved a Regulatory Ordinance on February 24, 2021, allowing certain types of commercial cannabis businesses to operate in the City of Ventura with a cannabis business permit.
Applications are Being Accepted Now
The first application period for cannabis business permits is open from June 28 - August 11, 2021 (closes at 4:00 pm).
For timely processing, requests for Zoning Verification Letters should be filed no later than Monday, July 26, 2021.
Application Period 1 does not allow cannabis business permits in the Coastal Zone. An application or a request for a Zoning Verification Letter for a property located in the Coastal Zone will not be processed.
For more information about applications, see the Application section below.
How Do I Sign Up for Cannabis Updates?
Did you miss an update? Don't worry, all Cannabis Updates are archived.
Application Period 1 for Cannabis Business Permits is Currently Open: Monday, June 28 - Wednesday, August 11, 2021 (closes at 4:00 pm)
Application documents for Commercial Cannabis Business Permits were released June 21, 2021. The application materials may be found below. See the Application Procedures & Guidelines for instructions on how and when to submit your application and supplemental documentation to ensure you meet all deadlines.
- Commercial Cannabis Business Permit Application Procedures & Guidelines - revised 7/7/21
- Commercial Cannabis Business Permit Application
- Ownership Acknowledgement Form
- Financial Responsibility, Indemnity and Consent to Inspection Terms AND Agreement on Limitations of City's Liability, and Certifications, Assurances, Warranties, and Indemnification to City
- Property Owner Consent Form
You must submit a Zoning Verification Letter with your completed application packet. This letter must be requested from our Community Development Department by Monday, July 26, 2021 for timely processing.
NOTE: Application Period 1 does not allow cannabis business permits in the Coastal Zone. A request for a Zoning Verification Letter for a property located in the Coastal Zone will not be processed.
You may request a Zoning Verification Letter from Community Development by submitting your request through the web portal at: https://www.cityofventura.ca.gov/1856/Submit-Your-Application The application type is "Permit Application". Provide your contact information, the property address, and the type of cannabis business for which you are applying for a permit (retail, distribution, etc.).
There is a mandatory field on the web portal requiring that a pdf document be uploaded. There is no specific document pertaining to the cannabis application that must be uploaded here, however, the system will not allow you to move forward without uploading a document. You may create a pdf with your contact information, property address, and business type and upload this.
The review process takes approximately 10 working days so you must consider the timeliness of your request in order to receive it back in time to submit it with your application. You should submit your request no later than Monday, July 26, 2021. After submitting the request, the City will generate an invoice in approximately 2 days and email it to the email provided by applicant with instructions about how to make a credit card payment. The verification process will not begin until payment has been received.
For more information about the Zoning Verification Letter, please see the Application Procedures & Guidelines.
- October 12, 2020 - City Council unanimously endorsed a framework for commercial cannabis regulations.
- November 2020 - Voters approved Measure I, a ballot measure for the taxation of cannabis.
- November 23, 2020 - City Council viewed a draft of the Regulatory Ordinance (Chapter 6.420) and a Resolution for the Maximum Number of Businesses and Buffers from Sensitive Uses.
- February 8, 2021 - City Council approved the first reading of the Regulatory Ordinance (Chapter 6.420) and Zoning Ordinance (Section 24.105.200). Council approved a Resolution for the Maximum Number of Businesses and Buffers from Sensitive Uses.
- February 24, 2021 - City Council approved the second reading of the Regulatory Ordinance (Chapter 6.420) and Zoning Ordinance (Section 24.105.200) (City Council Meeting Video).
- March 8, 2021 - City Council approved the cannabis permit application fees and an agreement for a cannabis consultant to assist the City with the application evaluation process, as well as with background checks, compliance, and auditing. (City Council Meeting Video) (Staff Report for Item 9G - consultant agreement) (Staff Report for Item 12A - cannabis fees)
Draft Local Coastal Program Amendment
- Local Coastal Program (LCP) Amendment - May 10, 2021 - This will be a City Council public hearing regarding a resolution authorizing submittal of a Local Coastal Program Amendment to the California Coastal Commission. You may follow City Council meetings and find staff reports in the Agenda Center.
Approved Ordinances and Resolutions
Buffers are only one layer of regulatory protection for the community. Buffers are imperfect tools, but are intended to screen out locations that could not possibly be appropriate. The rest of the intensive application process will include review and scoring of applications by City departments, including the Police Department, and a public meeting where public comment can be received and factored in.
The City Council approved a resolution for the buffers from sensitive uses. The buffers will be 600 feet around elementary, middle, and high schools, whether public, private, or charter, and this will be measured from the front door of the cannabis business to the property line of the sensitive use.
**More information about Location and Neighborhood Compatibility criteria will be released when the application becomes available.**
The Cannabis Orientation "Kick Off" Meeting was held Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 3:00 pm. At the Orientation, City staff and the consultant reviewed the application materials and answered questions about the application and supplemental documents. Be sure to watch the Orientation Video to hear all answers and additional information provided. Click on the image below to watch the video.
For questions about the status of the cannabis program, please contact Yesania Anderson, Management Analyst in Community Development at (805) 654-7717 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
File your Zoning Verification Letter Request by today, July 26, 2021 Read on...
Cannabis Orientation "Kick Off" Meeting and New FAQs - 6/3/21 Read on...