The City of Ventura voters approved a ballot measure for the taxation of cannabis in the City of Ventura in November of 2020. City Council approved a Regulatory Ordinance on February 24, 2021, allowing certain types of commercial cannabis businesses to operate in the City of Ventura with a cannabis business permit.
Where Are We in the Process?
The Application Period 1 for commercial cannabis business permits closed on Wednesday, August 11, 2021. Application Period 1 will only allow applications for commercial cannabis business permits in the non-Coastal Zone (up to 3 retail and 10 industrial-type permits may be awarded). The window for Application Period 2 is pending a final decision from the CA Coastal Commission. We anticipate this will not happen until 2022.
For information about where we are in the evaluation process for Application Period 1, see the tab below titled, "Timeline - Appl Period 1 Evals".
How Do I Sign Up for Cannabis Updates?
Did you miss an update? Don't worry, all Cannabis Updates are archived.
Do you Have Questions or Comments about the Process?
- Timeline - Appl Period 1 Evals
- Proposed Locations - Per 1
- Background/ Regulations
- Application Materials - Per 1
See the List of Proposed Locations for Cannabis Business Permits for the Cannabis Application Period 1. There are 25 applications listed in alphabetical order.
- October 12, 2020 - City Council unanimously endorsed a framework for commercial cannabis regulations.
- November 2020 - Voters approved Measure I, a ballot measure for the taxation of cannabis.
- November 23, 2020 - City Council viewed a draft of the Regulatory Ordinance (Chapter 6.420) and a Resolution for the Maximum Number of Businesses and Buffers from Sensitive Uses.
- February 8, 2021 - City Council approved the first reading of the Regulatory Ordinance (Chapter 6.420) and Zoning Ordinance (Section 24.105.200). Council approved a Resolution for the Maximum Number of Businesses and Buffers from Sensitive Uses.
- February 24, 2021 - City Council approved the second reading of the Regulatory Ordinance (Chapter 6.420) and Zoning Ordinance (Section 24.105.200) (City Council Meeting Video).
- March 8, 2021 - City Council approved the cannabis permit application fees and an agreement for a cannabis consultant to assist the City with the application evaluation process, as well as with background checks, compliance, and auditing. (City Council Meeting Video) (Staff Report for Item 9G - consultant agreement) (Staff Report for Item 12A - cannabis fees)
- May 10, 2021 - A public hearing was held at which City Council authorized, by resolution, the submittal of a Local Coastal Program (LCP) Amendment to the California Coastal Commission to allow commercial cannabis businesses to operate in the City's Coastal Zone. For a draft of the LCP Implementation Plan Amendment, see the "Draft Local Coastal Program Amendment" section below. (City Council Meeting Video) (Staff Report for Item 12C)
- June 14, 2021 - City Council received an update regarding the commercial cannabis business permit application process and criteria. (City Council Meeting Video) (Staff Report for Item 9F)
Draft Local Coastal Program Amendment
- Local Coastal Program (LCP) Amendment -
- May 10, 2021 - City Council held a public hearing and adopted Resolution no. 2021-041, authorizing the submittal of an amendment to the City's Local Coastal Program (LCP) with an addition to the Implementation Plan (IP) to the California Coastal Commission in order to allow commercial cannabis businesses to operate in the City's Coastal Zone.
- Notice of Availability of Draft LCP Implementation Plan (IP)Amendment
- Draft LCP IP Amendment
Approved Ordinances and Resolutions
Buffers are only one layer of regulatory protection for the community. Buffers are imperfect tools, but are intended to screen out locations that could not possibly be appropriate. The rest of the intensive application process will include review and scoring of applications by City departments, including the Police Department, and a public meeting where public comment can be received and factored in.
The City Council approved a resolution for the buffers from sensitive uses. The buffers will be 600 feet around elementary, middle, and high schools, whether public, private, or charter, and this will be measured from the front door of the cannabis business to the property line of the sensitive use.
**More information about Location and Neighborhood Compatibility criteria will be released when the application becomes available.**
Application Materials for Period 1 - This application period closed August 11, 2021. The City is no longer accepting applications until Application Period 2.
The window for Application Period 2 is pending a final decision from the CA Coastal Commission. We anticipate this will not happen until 2022.
Application documents for Commercial Cannabis Business Permits Application Period 1 were released June 21, 2021. The application materials may be found below. The video for the Orientation, held June 23, 2021 can be found at the bottom of this section.
- Commercial Cannabis Business Permit Application Procedures & Guidelines - revised 7/7/21
- Commercial Cannabis Business Permit Application
- Ownership Acknowledgement Form
- Financial Responsibility, Indemnity and Consent to Inspection Terms AND Agreement on Limitations of City's Liability, and Certifications, Assurances, Warranties, and Indemnification to City
- Property Owner Consent Form
Criminal Background Check Link
At the beginning of the application process, each Owner must undergo a criminal history background check to demonstrate they do not provide “good cause” for denial per SBMC Section 6.420.200 (c). This will consist of a provisional background check by means of an online portal at https://hdlcompanies.formstack.com/forms/bcp_venturacity.
You must submit a Zoning Verification Letter with your completed application packet. This letter must be requested from our Community Development Department by Monday, July 26, 2021 for timely processing.
NOTE: Application Period 1 does not allow cannabis business permits in the Coastal Zone. A request for a Zoning Verification Letter for a property located in the Coastal Zone will not be processed.
You may request a Zoning Verification Letter from Community Development by submitting your request through the web portal at: https://www.cityofventura.ca.gov/1856/Submit-Your-Application The application type is "Permit Application". Provide your contact information, the property address, and the type of cannabis business for which you are applying for a permit (retail, distribution, etc.).
There is a mandatory field on the web portal requiring that a pdf document be uploaded. There is no specific document pertaining to the cannabis application that must be uploaded here, however, the system will not allow you to move forward without uploading a document. You may create a pdf with your contact information, property address, and business type and upload this.
The review process takes approximately 10 working days so you must consider the timeliness of your request in order to receive it back in time to submit it with your application. You should submit your request no later than Monday, July 26, 2021. After submitting the request, the City will generate an invoice in approximately 2 days and email it to the email provided by applicant with instructions about how to make a credit card payment. The verification process will not begin until payment has been received.
For more information about the Zoning Verification Letter, please see the Application Procedures & Guidelines.
For questions about the status of the cannabis program, please contact Yesania Anderson, Management Analyst in Community Development at (805) 654-7717 or by email at email@example.com.
See the tentative timeline for cannabis applications posted to the City website below. Read on...
Cannabis Applications Due Today, 8/11/21 before 4:00 pm Read on...
File your Zoning Verification Letter Request by today, July 26, 2021 Read on...
Cannabis Orientation "Kick Off" Meeting and New FAQs - 6/3/21 Read on...