Waste & Recycling Regulations
The City of Ventura and E. J. Harrison & Sons can provide free waste assessments to help businesses comply with these laws. Options for recycling yard and food waste can also be discussed during free waste assessments. To set up a waste assessment at your business, call 805-652-4525.
AB 341 - Mandatory Commercial Recycling
As of July 1, 2012, recycling is mandated at all commercial businesses and multi-family residential properties (of five or more units) that generate 4-cubic yards of trash or more per week.
Here are a few things that you can do to assure your business is in compliance with this state law:
- Receive an exemption from City staff if your business lacks sufficient space to manage your recyclables
- Set up recycling collection service with E.J. Harrison & Sons.
- Self-haul or back-haul recyclable waste.
- Set up no-cost recycling collection service with another waste hauler.
- For more information, visit CalRecycle's AB 341 FAQ page.
AB 1826 - Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling
As of September 15, 2020, businesses that generate 2-cubic yards of total solid waste per week must arrange for recycling of their organic waste. The purpose of the law is to reduce waste and greenhouse gas emissions from the landfill. When organic material is landfilled, it decomposes and produces methane, a potent greenhouse gas.
AB 1826 is the State law requiring businesses and multi-family properties (of five or more units) to recycle the following types of organic waste:
- Food waste (kitchen scraps, uneaten food from customers, and spoiled food)
- Green waste (landscape, pruning waste, and nonhazardous wood waste)
Here are a few things that you can do to assure your business is in compliance with this state law. Contact a City of Ventura Environmental Sustainability (contact below) and choose any one of the following options:
- Receive an exemption from City staff if your business: Generates less than ½ cubic yard (about 100 gallons) of organic waste per week or lacks sufficient space to manage your organic waste
- Set up food or green waste collection service with E.J. Harrison & Sons.
- Donate excess food (tax deductions are available for food donators).
- Arrange for a landscaper to self-haul and recycle green waste at a permitted facility.
- Self-haul or back-haul organic waste.
For more information, visit CalRecycle's AB 1826 FAQ page.
AB 827 - Mandatory Recycling and Organics Recycling Bins
As of July 1, 2020, businesses that are subject to the State’s Mandatory Commercial and Organics recycling requirements and that also provide products for immediate customer consumption (e.g. fast food restaurants, convenience stores) are required to comply. Full-service restaurants do not have to provide properly labeled containers for patrons, but must provide properly labeled next to trash containers for employees to separate recyclables and organics for customers.
If you are unsure whether this applies to your business, please contact the City of Ventura Environmental Sustainability staff and we will assist you. Please follow the instructions below to comply:
- By providing properly labeled containers within your business for recycling and/or organics recycling as applicable.
- The City has some grant funding available to businesses for purchasing containers and can also offer proper signage. We understand the impact the pandemic has had on our local business community; our goal is to help your business comply with State regulations in the most cost and time efficient way possible.
- A City team member is available to work with you to provide exemptions and assistance wherever possible.
Phone: (805) 652-4584