Bulky Item Collection
Residential customers may arrange for service of four bulky items during two pick-ups per year, without charge. Bulky items are defined as discarded, large household appliances, furniture, tires, carpets, mattresses, and similar large items which require special handling due to their size. To request a pick-up call E.J. Harrison at 647-1414 or submit a request online at http://www.ejharrison.com/online/bulky_items.html.
Mattresses take up roughly 800 million cubic feet in landfills and take up to 120 years for a single mattress to decompose. In an effort to keep mattresses out of landfills, consider these options before you take your mattress to the dump.
- When you purchase a new mattress, it is a common practice for retailers to haul away your old mattress while delivering your new one.
- If you happen to have an extra mattress not in use, consider donating gently used mattresses to local charities like the Salvation Army.
- If donation is not an option, you can visit Bye Bye Mattresses to find a recycler near you. For City for Ventura Residents, the closest mattress recycling center is Gold Coast Recycling & Transfer Station which allows one set (mattress and boxspring) per year to be recycled for free.
- If these options do not work for you and you need your mattress disposed of immediately, DO NOT set it on the curb with your trash bin. In order to properly dispose of old mattresses, schedule a Bulky Item Pickup from E.J. Harrison, the City of Ventura's trash collection service. Their customer service line is (805) 647-1414.
In an effort to extend the life of a mattress and keep it out of the landfill, try these tips to keep them in good shape:
- Put the mattress on a supportive foundation
- Use a mattress pad or protector
- Rotate your mattress every 3 - 4 months
- Wash your sheets weekly
- Vacuum your mattress a few times a year
Good upkeep of a mattress doesn't just keep your bed smelling fresh and clean, it also prevents accelerated breaking down of mattress fibres.
Furniture and Appliances
As with mattresses, we cannot set out old furniture or appliances on the curb with the trash bins. Instead of hauling these bulky items off to the dump, consider donating gently used furniture and appliances to these local second hand stores:
- Goodwill Retail Store & Donation Center
- Coalition Thrift Store
- ARC Foundation and Thrift Store
- Boys & Girl Club Thrift Store
- SPARC Second Chance Store
If items are too damaged to be donated, you can schedule a Bulky Item Pickup from E. J. Harrison. They offer two free bulky item pick ups per year with up to four items total per year.
When purchasing new tires, the business you're working with will typically take your old tires for recycling. If you have extra tires in need of disposal, many tire stores accept used tires for a fee. Gold Coast Recycling & Transfer Station also accepts tires for recycling at a fee.
Help keep Ventura’s streets and open spaces free of bulky debris. If you see debris or bulky items in dangerous places, the public right of way, or blocking storm drains, please call Ventura’s Safe & Clean Hotline at (805) 677-3900.