Special Event Permits

General Information

The City of Ventura issues permits for individuals, groups, and companies to conduct events within the City of Ventura. Activities such as block parties, free speech events, parades, processions, athletic and sporting events, walk-a-thons, and festivals that impact City streets, sidewalks, parking lots, public property, airways, public buildings, and traffic require a City permit. Many private properties also require City permits for special activities that have the potential to impact the public-right-of-way.

Special Event, Free Speech Event & Block Party Applications

4th of July - Button

Special Event Permit Process

Step One

Download and complete an application.

Please Note: Only Free Speech Event applications are being accepted at this time. All permitted Free Speech Events must follow State, County, City and CDC guidelines for reducing the spread of COVID-19.

Step Two

Submit your completed application with fees.

Special Event applications, along with the non-refundable application fee and security deposit (when applicable), should be submitted 60-90* City business days before your event. This time frame allows staff to receive all the necessary City of Ventura department approvals associated with the planning and execution of your event. Applicants are highly encouraged to submit their application and receive conditional approval before advertising and promoting their event to ensure the event date and location are available. 

*Free Speech Event applications, along with the $25 non-refundable event application fee and security deposit (when applicable), should be submitted 15-30 City business days before your event. 

Please Note: Free Speech Event applicants can request that their insurance requirement and fees be waived

Applications for a Block Party, along with the non-refundable application fee and security deposit (when applicable), should be submitted 30-90 City business days before your event. A petition page with signatures from at least 3/4 of the owners and residents authorizing their consent, in writing, to the block party is also required when submitting the application. Additional conditions for conducting a Block Party are outlined within the application.

Step Three

Application review, routing, and approval.

Once your completed application is submitted, and non-refundable application fee paid, your application will be routed to the appropriate City departments for review and approval. During the review process, you will be contacted if any adjustments or changes need to be made to your event for it to meet City safety guidelines, rules, and requirements.  Specific requirements and any additional fees will be included in a detailed agreement to be signed by you (the "Permittee") prior to the event.

A Certificate of Insurance and endorsement page naming the City of Ventura as an additional insured will be required prior to the release of any Special Event Permit. Block Party Permits require a copy of the event organizer's (i.e. "Permittee’s") homeowner’s policy. Insurance through the City of Ventura's insurance broker may also be purchased. The mandatory wording for liability insurance and required certificate of endorsement page must specify, as an additional insured, the following:

The City of San Buenaventura, its officers, officials, employees and agents
501 Poli Street
Ventura, CA 93001

Insurance requirements are located in the Special Event Permit Application.

Step Four

Sign your permit and pay remaining fees.

Once your application has been reviewed, routed for approval, and the final version of the permit completed, you (i.e. the "Permittee") will be contacted to review and sign the permit as well as pay any remaining fees.

Other Things to be Aware of

As a condition of the permit, event organizers ("Permittees"), based on the size and scope of their event, may be required to compete the following:

  • Provide notification 72-hours in advance of the event, in writing or in person, to businesses and residents within 700 feet of the event
  • Contact and obtain required permits from other regulatory agencies or organizations
  • Coordinate event logistics with other City of Ventura departments
  • Pay for City Public Safety Officers or representatives to control traffic or provide safety 
  • Pay for required inspections
  • Provide a traffic plan that includes street signs and barricades

Contact Us

Allyson DesBaillets
Community Partnerships Coordinator
(805) 654-7749

Steven DeFratus
Community Partnerships Supervisor
(805) 658-4732

  1. Parks & Recreation
    501 Poli St, Room 226
    Ventura, CA 93001

    Phone: 805-658-4726

  2. Facebook