Short-Term Vacation Rentals

An owner of a residential dwelling located within the City of Ventura who rents their property for less than 30 days is required to:

  • Have an active Short-Term Vacation Rental (STVR) Permit
  • Have an active City of Ventura business license
  • Collect and remit Transient Occupancy Tax at 10% of the rents received (on stays of less than 30 days per tenant)

Short-Term Vacation Rental Forms

Short-Term Vacation Rental Ordinance

It is important for owners to be familiar with and adhere to the Performance Standards for operating an STVR. Owners are also responsible to ensure their renters and their guests comply with these Performance Standards. 

How to Report a Short-Term Vacation Rental Violation

There are 3 ways to report an STVR violation:

1) Call the STVR Hotline: (805) 307-5092

Use this hotline for complaints after-hours and during weekends when City offices are closed.  You will reach a hotline operator who will log the complaint, assign you a ticket number so that you may track the complaint, and the operator will contact the person responsible for responding to complaints after-hours and on weekends for that STVR.

2) Nuisance Response Plan

Directly contact the person designated on the Nuisance Response Plan to resolve complaints about the STVR.  Nuisance Response Plan contacts are to respond to a reporting party within 45 minutes.  Additionally, you may choose to file a Violation Report in order to create a record of the violation.

3) File a Violation Report

File a Violation Report with the City.  Please answer as many fields as possible as this assists the City with any follow up action.  Include any relevant pictures or documents by using the upload feature.  Please note, any report filed when City offices are closed will not be responded to until the City offices are once again open.  If your concern is urgent and requires a more immediate response, please use one of the other methods listed above.