Apply for Business License
SIC Codes and Industrial General Permit (IGP) Requirements - Steps 1-4
On October 2, 2019, the State of California passed Senate Bill 205, effective January 1, 2020, requiring certain regulated businesses to demonstrate enrollment with Stormwater Industrial General Permits (IGP) BEFORE cities may issue, or renew, a local business license.
What should a business do to comply with these requirements?
Determine the primary Standard Industry Classification (SIC) Code(s) for your business using SIC Search or NAICS/SIC crosswalk if you know your NAICS.
Determine whether the SIC code is one required to enroll in the State IGP program at IGP-regulated codes.
If the SIC code is a regulated code, enroll the business under the State’s IGP SMART tracking system and then continue to #4.
If the SIC code for your business IS NOT a regulated code, continue with your renewal form and skip #4.
Provide one of the following to the City of Ventura with your business license renewal: WDID application # and WDID, or NONA, or NEC.
What if I have more questions about the State Stormwater Program?
Phone: (866) 563-3107
Fax: (916) 341-5543
Review the State’s Frequently Asked Questions
Note: The City of Ventua does not administer or enforce the IGP.
NEW - Tobacco Retailer License Required
On January 13, 2020, City Council passed an ordinance no. 2020-002, titled “Tobacco Retailer License”, making it a requirement for all Tobacco Retailers in the City to obtain a City-issued Tobacco Retailer License. This license is in addition to a City of Ventura business license and state cigarette and tobacco license.
A currently operating Tobacco Retailer may continue operating temporarily, until a City Tobacco Retailer License is either issued or denied, IF the application and license fee are submitted no later than March 13, 2020.
For a copy of the Tobacco Retailer License application, click here.
To review the Tobacco Retailer License ordinance, click here.
Cannabis Delivery Services Permit Application
Effective January 1, 2020, the delivery only of cannabis is allowed within the City of San Buenaventura with the issuance of a Cannabis Delivery Services Permit. Any dispensary applying for this permit must be located outside the City. To engage in any commercial cannabis delivery activity within the City, the following must be provided to the City Business Tax Office:
- State license for retail sale of cannabis from a permitted facility that is directly linked to and responsible for the delivery activity;
- State seller’s permit;
- City of Ventura business license;
- Cannabis Delivery Services application; and
- Live Scan application and VPD 92A form for each owner, manager, and delivery driver.
Click here for a full copy of the Cannabis Delivery Services Ordinance.
Cannabidiol (CBD) Products
Any business that sells industrial hemp products containing no more than 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is required to come to the Business Tax Office to sign an affidavit before opening a business license. To see a sample of the form click here. This form must be signed at the Business Tax Office.
- Business License Office - Information & Phone Numbers
- New Business Handbook
- Home Occupation Zoning Requirements (PDF)
- Guidelines to Prepare for Your Fire Inspection (PDF)
- Tax Rates and Information - Commercial Rental Property Owners
- Tax Rates and Information - General
- Tax Rates and Information - Realtors
- Tax Rates and Information - Contractors
Exemptions & More
- Apportionment Guidelines
- Contractor (State Licensed)
- Disabled Veteran Exemption
- Exempt from Business Tax?
- Limited Income Exemption
- Non-Profit Exemption
Whenever a person engages in business both within and outside the city, the Business Tax shall be fairly apportioned to reflect that portion of business conducted within the city.
All state licensed contractors must obtain a City Business License prior to pulling any building permits. When applying for a business license, contractors cannot report less than $75,000 in gross receipts without proof. If the company is sending an agent to apply for a business license, he or she must provide an Agent Authorization letter with photo I.D.
For any Building Permit questions, please contact the Building & Safety department at (805) 654-7869 or click here.
To Qualify for the Disabled Veteran Exemption, you must be/have:
1. Honorably discharged from the United States Armed Services as a soldier, sailor, marine or airman.
2. Certification of medical or physical inability to obtain a livelihood by manual labor.
3. Voter registration from the State of California.
4. A detailed description of proposed business activity.
Persons applying for a Business License who qualify under the Disabled Veteran Exemption only pay an administrative fee of $20 for a Business Tax Certificate, and do not have to pay the Business License tax.
All businesses MUST have a Business Tax Certificate, even those exempt from the Business Tax. Exempt businesses only pay an administrative fee for a Business Tax Certificate.
Persons applying for a Business License who qualify under the Limited Income Exemption only pay an administrative fee for a Business Tax Certificate, and do not have to pay the Business License tax.
To Qualify as Limited Income:
- A copy of the previous year's tax return showing income of $2,400 or less
- An Administrative fee of $20
A Non-Profit exemption is available for a Nonprofit organization or corporation conducting, managing or carrying on of any business, occupation or activity from a fixed place of business in the city. Those who qualify only pay an administrative fee for a Business Tax Certificate and do not have to pay the Business License tax.
To qualify as non-profit:
- The organization's articles of incorporation is changed within the last 5 years
- Evidence of the organization's non-profit status (i.e. federal or state tax exempt status letter or a recent tax return)
- Pay an administrative fee of $20
Programs & More
- Economic Develop Collaborative
- Fictitious Name Filing
- Seller's Permit
- Women's Economic Ventures WEV
- Business Consulting & Workshops
- Loans & Funding Assistance
- Manufacturing Assistance Program
- How-to on International Trade
- Every person who regularly transacts business in this state for profit under a fictitious business name shall file a fictitious business name statement not later than 40 days from the time he/she commences to transact such business.