Renew Your Business License
Renew Online by logging into your e-file portal
Note: Additional documents may be requested online. Click on the "Renew Online" tab under "Renewal Instructions" below before logging into your portal to ensure you are prepared.
Renew Online by logging into your e-file portal.
Note: Additional documents may be requested online. Read the instructions below before logging into your portal to ensure you are prepared. For step-by-step instructions with images, click here: How to Renew Online Guide
To renew online you will need:
- Account # (business license #) and Security Code
- Gross receipts for 2022, or previous tax year
- A form of payment: Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, Discover, or e-check. For e-check payment you will need the routing # and bank account #
- Have a question about your renewal? The best way to reach our office during renewal season is to send an email to the Business License Office. Include your Account # (same as Business License #) in the subject line of all correspondence.
If your business is one of the following, you will need to upload additional documents with your online renewal:
- Tier 2 Property Rental - You will need to upload:
- A copy of your most recent tax form Schedule E or form 8825 showing the rents received for this property or properties. If you have not yet filed your tax return, you may provide a copy of an internal accounting document showing total revenue received for the property/properties, for example a Profit & Loss Statement. If you do not have it at hand while renewing, please mark the box to "submit by mail."
- Tier 2 Massage Professionals - Click here for full Massage Professionals Instructions. You will need to upload:
- Copy of your CAMTC certificate, CAMTC picture I.D., and valid I.D. with current address (driver license);
- Verification of your current address (i.e. copy of a utility bill, etc.);
- A copy of your previous year's tax return.
- Tier 2 Limited Exemption Massage - A business with ancillary massage services is Limited Exempt. Click here for full Limited Exemption Massage Instructions and Employee List. You will need to upload:
- A completed list of all massage professionals working at the establishment (employee list).
- Tier 4 Non Profit - You will need to upload:
- Articles of Incorporation, if changed in the last 5 years;
- Evidence of organization's non profit status (recent tax returns or federal or state tax exempt status letter).
- Tier 4 - Limited Income - You will need to upload:
- Copy of previous year's tax return showing income (gross, not net) of $2,400, or less.
- Copy of previous year's tax return showing income (gross, not net) of $2,400, or less.
What else can I do online?
If your business is eligible to renew online, then you may also do all of the following by signing into the e-file portal above.
- Make Account Corrections/Modifications - You can make corrections to your account and contact information PRIOR to completing your renewal so that changes will be reflected on your business tax certificate.
- Cancel Your Business License – You must cancel your business license to avoid penalties and further notices if you are no longer conducting business in the City of Ventura. Submit your business license cancellation online.
- View Your Renewal Form – You may view a copy of your renewal notice online.
- Print a Temporary License - You may view and print a temporary license online 2 business days after you have renewed your license.
- Pay Your Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) - You may submit your Hotel TOT and STVR TOT online.
To renew by mail you will need:
- A completed, signed business license renewal notice. Note: Renewal notices were mailed in June 2023.
- All required attachments that you receive with your renewal notice.
- Form of Payment - Mail a check, or money order, issued to "City of Ventura" to: City of Ventura, Business Tax Office, 501 Poli St Rm 107, Ventura, CA, 93001.
The following businesses must renew by mail and may not renew online:
- Tier 1 Retail/Wholesale with Apportionment - You must renew by mail ONLY IF claiming an apportionment using the Apportionment Worksheet. All other Retail/Wholesale businesses may renew online.
- Tier 2 Cannabis Delivery Service - You must submit a new application and supporting docs each year. Click here for Cannabis Delivery Service Instructions and Owner/Manager/Driver List. Click here for Cannabis Delivery Service Application. If you have new drivers, you will need to submit a Live Scan Application and a VPD Permit Application for each new driver directly to Ventura Police Department (VPD) for processing. The new drivers will need to meet with VPD to complete the background verification. A separate renewal fee will be charged by VPD to the Credit Card on file to reissue updated Photo IDs to established drivers.
- Other - Rental mobile homes, special events, itinerate merchants, and adult performers.
How do I Modify or Cancel if I Renew by Mail?
- Modifications/Corrections - Make the corrections/modifications on your hard copy renewal form that you will mail in.
- Cancel/Close Business License- If you are no longer doing business in the City of Ventura, you must cancel/close your business license to avoid penalties or further notices.
- Cancel by Mail: Indicate the date you ceased doing business and reason for closing on your hard copy form, then sign and mail to the Business Tax Office
- Cancel by Email: Send an email to the Business License Office – Title the email "Closing Business License" and include your Account # in the subject line. Be sure to include the date you ceased doing business and reason for closing in the body of your email.
Business Licenses can be renewed online unless your business type is listed below:
|These businesses can NOT renew online:|
|Tier 1 - Retail/Wholesale who is claiming an Apportionment||Tier 2 - Adult Performers|
|Tier 2 - Cannabis Delivery Service||Tier 2 - Rental Mobile Home|
|Tier 3 - Itinerate Merchants|
If your business type is not on this list, then you may renew online.
All businesses tax certificates (business licenses) expire on June 30 of each year. All business licenses must be renewed before July 1 of each year. It is the business owner's responsibility to renew the business license each year, even if a renewal notice was not received. Full copy of the Business License Tax ordinance.
Why did I receive a renewal notice after I renewed my license?
Business License renewal notices were generated on May 18, 2022; therefore, you will still receive a renewal notice if your license was renewed on or after this date.
Did I already renew my license? How do I check the status of my Business License?
Click Here to Check your License Status Note: Your business license status will update within 1-2 business days after renewing online. Renewal notices submitted by mail may take 3-6 weeks to process and update; however, we will mark your renewal as received on the date it was postmarked by the post office.
Business Support Center
The City of Ventura has retained the HdL Companies, based in Fresno, to assist businesses and property owners in becoming compliant with the City’s Municipal Code.
If you received a letter from HdL Companies (the Business Support Center), then you must contact them by phone at (805) 319-4096 or by email at [email protected] to resolve the matter.
Note: If you are submitting the application, you must submit the application that was attached with the letter. You may not use the application found on this website.
Additional Renewal Information
Master Fee Schedule
The City of Ventura Master Fee Schedule is subject to change annually. To view the most current fees related to business license, click on the link below with the context "Business License Related Fees". To view a complete listing of the Master Fee Schedule, click on the link below with the context "Complete Listing".
What are NAICS and SIC Codes?
NAICS and SIC codes are a catalog of business descriptions that have each been assigned a number. As the business owner, you will select the description that matches your business the best. Once you have selected the appropriate description, then you will provide us with the code associated with that description. NAICS codes are 6-digit codes. SIC codes are 4-digit codes.
For help finding your NAICS and SIC codes, visit the NAICS website.
What is the Industrial General Permit (IGP) Permit Requirement?
On October 2, 2019, the State of California passed Senate Bill 205, effective January 1, 2020, requiring certain regulated businesses to demonstrate enrollment with Stormwater Industrial General Permits (IGP) BEFORE cities may issue, or renew, a local business license.
What should a business do to comply with this requirement?
- Determine the primary SIC code(s) for your business. For help finding your SIC code(s) visit the NAICS website.
- Determine whether the SIC code is one required to enroll in the State IGP program. For a list of SIC codes required to enroll in the program, visit IGP-regulated codes
- If the SIC code is a regulated code, then you will need to enroll the business under the State's IGP SMART tracking system and then continue to #4. If the SIC code for your business IS NOT a regulated code, continue with your renewal and skip #4.
- Provide one of the following to the City of Ventura with your business license renewal: WDID application #, WDID #, NONA #, or NEC.
What if I have more questions about the Industrial General Permit (IGP) or the SMART tracking system?
Because the City of Ventura does not administer or enforce the IGP, you will need to contact the State with any questions. Please contact one of the three individuals below for additional questions. You may also review the State's Frequently Asked Questions
|Andrew Veloz||(213) 620-2243||Email|
|Nerissa Schrader||(213) 620-2237||Email|
|Lesley Walther||(213) 620-2120||Email|
Cannabidiol (CBD) Products
Any business that sells industrial hemp products containing no more than 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is required to come to the Business Tax Office to sign an affidavit before opening a business license. To see a sample of the form click here.
Note: This form must be signed at the Business Tax Office.