State Water Interconnection
The City has a 10,000 acre-foot per year allocation from the California State Water Project (SWP). To date, the City has not constructed the improvements necessary to receive direct delivery of its allocation. The State Water Interconnection Project will enable delivery of SWP water by wheeling through Metropolitan Water District of Southern California and Calleguas Municipal Water District to the City. The connection will also facilitate direct delivery of SWP water to United Water Conservation District and direct or in-lieu delivery of SWP water to Casitas Municipal Water District. In addition, the interconnection will allow the City to deliver water to Calleguas Municipal Water District during an outage of its imported water supplies.
In January 2017, City Council authorized an agreement with Kennedy/Jenks Consultants to prepare an alignment study for the State Water Interconnection Pipeline. This agreement also included preparation of an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) of the preferred alignment.
On February 28, 2018, the City issued the Notice of Preparation (NOP) of a Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the State Water Interconnection Project. The NOP was prepared to notify responsible and trustee agencies and the public that the environmental review process pursuant to CEQA has commenced.
On March 15, 2018, a scoping meeting was held to solicit comments regarding the scope and content of the EIR. A matrix of issues and comments raised at the scoping meeting is provided in the June 2018 Scoping Report.
On February 19, 2019, the Draft EIR was released for public review. The 45 day review and comment period for the Draft EIR concluded on April 5, 2019.
- On June 25, 2019, the Final EIR was presented to the Water Commission. The Water Commission voted unanimously to recommend that City Council certify the Final EIR.
- On August 5, 2019, the Final EIR was presented to City Council. The City Council voted unanimously to adopt a resolution certifying the Final EIR and adopting a Mitigation, Monitoring, and Reporting Program.
- On May 18, 2020, City Council authorized approval of an agreement with Stantec Consulting Services to provide design services for the State Water Interconnection Pipeline and Blending Station Projects.
Reports and Noticing
- 2018 Notice of Preparation - State Water Interconnection Project
- 2018 June- State Water Interconnection Alignment Study - Public
- 2018 June- State Water Interconnection Scoping Report
- 2019 Notice Of Availability - State Water Interconnection Project
- 2019 State Water Interconnection Project Draft EIR
- 2019 State Water Interconnection Project Final EIR
- 2019 Notice of Determination - State Water Interconnection Project