Join Our Team: Hiring Police Officers and Public Safety Dispatchers!
The Ventura Police Department is actively hiring entry level Police Officer Trainees, Lateral or Academy Trained Police Officers and Public Safety Dispatchers! If you are interested in learning more about this exciting opportunity please email [email protected] today or call 805-339-4489.
Our department prides itself on hiring and retaining the most qualified individuals. The position of Ventura Police Officer is not only challenging but also extremely rewarding. As a police officer fighting and preventing crime, protecting the innocent, and serving the community is what you do daily, but it is the individuals we hire who are leaders, have courage, integrity, self-discipline, and compassion that make our department great.
HIRING NOW FOR APRIL 2019 ACADEMY This is a non-safety, non-sworn, at-will position. Attends a high-stress, POST-certified, police academy, and receives additional department training designed to provide an overview of the criminal justice system, various laws and procedures, law enforcement techniques, first aid, physical fitness, and other related duties. Trainees learn the philosophy of community problem-oriented policing and working closely with the community to resolve problems.
The ideal candidate:
- Is trustworthy, honest, physically active and has good leadership qualities.
- Takes responsibility and uses a proactive approach to problem-solving.
- Maintains control when resolving delicate issues or responding to emergency situations.
- Makes logical, fair decisions with calm professionalism, while adhering to the law.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a City employment application and supplemental questionnaire. The preferred method of application is online.
Options for Written Examination:
- Submit a California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) test score with your application OR submit a National Testing Network (NTN) Frontline National Written examination test result through NTN.
If you have not taken the POST or NTN Written Exams: Register yourself to participate in the NTN Frontline National Written Examination administered by NTN as soon as possible.Applicants that meet the written examination requirement will be certified to the eligibility list. The police department will then invite qualified applicants to provide their Personal History Statement.
- Once the personal history statement is approved qualified applicants are invited for department selection interviews.
- After completing interviews qualified applicants are invited to participate in Physical Agility Testing.
- Additional selection components include: polygraph, background investigation, post-offer psychological and medical examinations.
- Candidates who successfully complete all steps of the process are invited to participate in 23 week police academy.
Learn more about minimum qualifications, benefits, selection plan and online application at: Police Officer Trainee Job Posting.
5% increase after one year, Educational Incentive: AA/AS $100,045.11, BS/BA $105, 037.84
Under general supervision, performs regular law enforcement, criminal investigation, crime prevention, and traffic control and enforcement duties. May perform duties in specialty assignments such as: motorcycle officer, K-9, major crimes investigations, special investigation, SWAT and field tactical units.
Lateral Public Safety Dispatcher (911 Operator)
Receives, screens and responds to incoming emergency and non-emergency calls for police assistance. Dispatches appropriate units and maintains necessary communication with units during their response to calls. Performs a variety of clerical, record-keeping, and general support duties related to communication activities.