The City of Ventura’s Business of the Month Program is designed to highlight one exceptional Ventura business each month for special achievements or other unique contributions made to the City. This recognition program is a collaboration between the City of Ventura Economic Development Division and the Ventura Chamber of Commerce.
To be eligible for the Business of the Month Recognition Program, a Ventura business must be:
- Commercially located (Brick & Mortar Only) within the City of Ventura
- The business has operated within the City for (5) or more consecutive years
- A for-profit business
- Must have 2 or more employees
- In good standing with the City (no outstanding taxes or fees)
- Not a previous award recipient of a City of Ventura or Chamber Business of the Month Recognition
Criteria for Recognition
Business must meet at least one criteria
- Growth - increased number of employees, facility expansion and/or additional locations, increased production, etc.
- Environmental Stewardship - the business has voluntarily developed new or adopted existing clean technology, practices, or standards that measurably improve its environmental footprint in the City, including, but not limited to current certification as a City of Ventura Green Business, reduced carbon emissions, water conservation, waste reduction, green building practices.
- Community Enrichment / Supporter - The business details voluntary service on government and/or non-profit boards or committees serving City of Ventura residents, voluntary contributions to a community project in the form of hours or financial means, and partnership with a local university to provide internship/hiring opportunities to local talent, or another likeness.
- Industry Innovator - the business has demonstrated an innovative approach to service delivery, emerging technologies, increased operational efficiencies, or community-focused outcomes that address economic, social, or community impacts.
- Business Resiliency & Development - Businesses are active participants in continued education to keep on top of trends, tools, regulations, and opportunities to strengthen their business. Businesses have completed the State’s Resilient Business Challenge to help outsmart future disasters: Resilient Business Challenge - Outsmart Disaster - Outsmart Disaster
Nomination and Awardee Selection
- Nominations are open to the public
- Self-nominations are accepted
- Nominations are accepted on a rolling basis
Recognition Schedule (subject to change)
Businesses that are selected for the Business of the Month award will also be put into consideration for the Ventura Chamber of Commerce’s annual Poinsettia Awards Business of the Year.
- Certificate award presented at City Council meeting
- Video highlight
- Highlight at Economic Development Subcommittee Meeting
- Feature in Economic Development & Ventura Chamber of Commerce Newsletters
- Business of the Month window decal
- Highlight in the annual State of the City address