- Oversized Vehicle Permit
Oversized Vehicle Permit
Last Content Update:
An oversized vehicle is any vehicle that exceeds 25 feet in length, exceeds 80 inches in width, or exceeds 82 inches in height. An oversized vehicle does not include pickup trucks that are less than 25 feet in length and 82 inches in height.
Trailer means a trailer, semi-trailer, camp trailer, un-mounted camper, or trailer coach as defined in the California Vehicle Code. Permits are not issued for unhitched trailers.
In order to park your oversized vehicle on a city street you must first notify the Ventura Police Department’s Traffic Unit by calling 805-339-4401 or complete this online Oversized Vehicle Permit Form.
When you call, or submit the online form, please be prepared to provide as many details about the vehicle as possible (i.e., license plate, address where vehicle will be parked, make, model, color, etc.).
With an Oversized Vehicle Permit, you can park the vehicle for five consecutive days, but permits cannot be issued more than twelve times in a calendar year. The intent of the permit is for loading and unloading of your vehicle vs. the permit being utilized as a form of a parking permit on city streets.
The information remains on file at the Department and will be entered into a database and marked as “permitted” within the database. Once the vehicle has been marked as permitted, you may park it on the street for a period of no more than five consecutive calendar days and no more than ten days total within any consecutive ninety day period.
Relevant Municipal Code Sections:
- Purpose - Sec. 16.217.010: This chapter is adopted pursuant to the City's police powers and California Vehicle Code § 22507, and any successor statute or regulation, in order to regulate parking of oversized vehicles within the City's jurisdiction. The regulations enacted by this chapter are intended to protect public health and safety by, among other things, ensuring that vehicles parked or stopped in and along city streets, or other public rights-of-ways, do not hinder, obstruct, or otherwise endanger drivers engaged in the ordinary flow of traffic. (Ord. No. 2001-02, § 2, 1-30-01)
- Definitions - Sec. 16.217.020: Oversized vehicle means any vehicle which exceeds 25 feet in length; or exceeds 80 inches in width; or exceeds 82 inches in height. Oversized vehicle does not include pickup trucks, which are less than 25 feet in length and 82 inches in height. Trailer means a trailer, semi-trailer, camp trailer, un-mounted camper, or trailer coach as defined in the California Vehicle Code. (Ord. No. 2001-02, § 2, 1-30-01)
- Hours - 16.217.050a: Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to park or leave standing any oversized vehicle on any street in a residential or business area between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Fridays, inclusive, holidays excepted.
- 16.217.060a: Daytime parking prohibited. Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to park or leave standing any trailer that is attached to a vehicle capable of moving the trailer in a lawful manner upon the street on any street in a residential or business area between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Fridays, inclusive, holidays excepted.
- Unhitched Trailers - 16.217.060b: Unhitched trailers prohibited. It is unlawful for a person to park or leave a trailer standing on any city street or alley unless it is attached to a vehicle capable of moving the trailer in a lawful manner upon the street.
For more information about the Oversized Vehicle Permit, please contact the Ventura Police Traffic Unit at 805-339-4401 or email Senior Police Services Officer, Marcella Cabrera.